Economic reforms, capital inflows and macro economic impact in India
The study attempts to explain the effects of inflows of private foreign capital on some major macroeconomic variables in India using quarterly data for the period 1993-99.The analyses of trends in private foreign capital inflows and some other variables indicate instability. Whereas net inflows of private foreign capital (FINV),foreign currency assets,wholesale price index,money supply,real and nominal effective exchange rates and exports follow an I(1)process,current account deficit is the only series that follows I(0).Cointegration test confirms the presence of long-run equilibrium relationships between a few pairs of such cointegration except in two cases:cointegration exists between foreign currency assets and money supply and between nominal effective exchange rate and exports,even after controlling for FINV. The Granger Causality Test shows unidirectional causality from FINV to nominal effective exchange rates-both trade-based and export-based-, which raises concern about the RBI strategy in the foreign exchange market. Finally, instability in the trend of foreign currency assets could be partially explained by the instability in FINV with some lagged effect.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +91 471 2448 881
Fax: +91 471 2447 137
Web page: http://www.cds.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reinhart, Carmen & Khan, Mohsin, 1995.
"Macroeconomic Management in APEC Economies: The Response to Capital Inflows,"
8148, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Ghosh, Atish R, 1995. "International Capital Mobility amongst the Major Industrialised Countries: Too Little or Too Much?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(428), pages 107-28, January.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1981. "Some properties of time series data and their use in econometric model specification," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 121-130, May.
- Granger, C. W. J. & Newbold, P., 1974. "Spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 111-120, July.
- Corbo, Vittorio & Hernandez, Leonardo, 1996. "Macroeconomic Adjustment to Capital Inflows: Lessons from Recent Latin American and East Asian Experience," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 11(1), pages 61-85, February.
- Abul M. M. Masih & Rumi Masih, 1994. "Temporal Causality Between Money and Prices in LDCs and the Error-Correction Approach: New Evidence from India," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 29(1), pages 33-35, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ind:cdswpp:311. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamprasad M. Pujar)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.