Duality theory for optimal investments under model uncertainty
Robust utility functionals arise as numerical representations of investor preferences, when the investor is uncertain about the underlying probabilistic model and averse against both risk and model uncertainty. In this paper, we study the duality theory for the problem of maximizing the robust utility of the terminal wealth in a general incomplete market model. We also allow for very general sets of prior models. In particular, we do not assume that all prior models are equivalent to each other, which allows us to handle many economically meaningful robust utility functionals such as those defined by AVaR(lambda), concave distortions, or convex capacities. We also show that dropping the equivalence of prior models may lead to new effects such as the existence of arbitrage strategies under the least favorable model.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2005|
|Date of revision:||Sep 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Spandauer Str. 1,10178 Berlin|
Web page: http://sfb649.wiwi.hu-berlin.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alexander Schied, 2004. "On the Neyman-Pearson problem for law-invariant risk measures and robust utility functionals," Papers math/0407127, arXiv.org.
- L. Randall Wray & Stephanie Bell, 2004. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Credit and State Theories of Money, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Gilboa, Itzhak, 1987.
"Expected utility with purely subjective non-additive probabilities,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 65-88, February.
- Itzhak Gilboa, 1987. "Expected Utility with Purely Subjective Non-Additive Probabilities," Post-Print hal-00756291, HAL.
- Schmeidler, David, 1989. "Subjective Probability and Expected Utility without Additivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 571-587, May.
- David Schmeidler, 1989. "Subjective Probability and Expected Utility without Additivity," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7662, David K. Levine.
- E. Jouini & W. Schachermayer & N. Touzi, 2008. "Optimal Risk Sharing For Law Invariant Monetary Utility Functions," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(2), pages 269-292.
- Elyès Jouini & Walter Schachermayer & Nizar Touzi, 2007. "Optimal Risk Sharing for Law Invariant Monetary Utility Functions," Working Papers halshs-00176606, HAL.
- Thomas Goll & Ludger Rüschendorf, 2001. "Minimax and minimal distance martingale measures and their relationship to portfolio optimization," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 557-581.
- Gilboa, Itzhak & Schmeidler, David, 1989. "Maxmin expected utility with non-unique prior," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 141-153, April.