Universities in the regional economy. Evidence from Swedish employer-employee linked data
This study uses employer-employee linked data on all Swedish firms to analyze the impact of a college on the local economy. It focuses on colleges established in the 1970s and measures the effects 20 years after the establishment. The results show that there are no significant effects on survival rate of establishments, overall employment growth, overall growth of college graduates or employment growth in OECD defined high-tech industries. The results do not support the political motives behind the establishment and they reject the hypothesis of large regional spillovers from a college. But it is also possible that it takes more than 20 years before a university has a significant impact on regional development.
|Date of creation:||02 Nov 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: SOFI, Stockholm University, SE-10691 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: +46 (8) - 16 20 00
Fax: +46 (8) - 15 46 70
Web page: http://www.sofi.su.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Krugman, 1990.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
NBER Working Papers
3275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roland Andersson & John M. Quigley & Mats Wilhelmsson, 2002.
"University Decentralization as Regional Policy: The Swedish Experiment,"
eres2002_138, European Real Estate Society (ERES).
- Roland Andersson & John M. Quigley & Mats Wilhelmson, 2004. "University decentralization as regional policy: the Swedish experiment," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(4), pages 371-388, August.
- Andersson, Roland & Quigley, John M. & Wilhelmsson, Mats, 2004. "University Decentralization as Regional Policy: The Swedish Experiment," Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series qt81n6b8fb, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- Jaffe, Adam B, 1989. "Real Effects of Academic Research," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(5), pages 957-970, December.
- Anselin, Luc & Varga, Attila & Acs, Zoltan, 1997. "Local Geographic Spillovers between University Research and High Technology Innovations," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 422-448, November.
- Steven J. Davis & John C. Haltiwanger & Scott Schuh, 1998. "Job Creation and Destruction," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262540932.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:sofiwp:2004_007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stefan Englund)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.