Inventory management of spare parts in an energy company
We address a problem of inventory management of spare parts in the context of a large energy company, producer of oil and gas. Spare parts are critical for assuring operational conditions in offshore platforms. About 200,000 different items are held in several inventory plants. The inventory system implemented at the company corresponds to a min-max system. The control parameters are decided based mainly on the expert judgment of the planners. Also, though the inventory plants can in practice be supplied from each other, the inventory planning is performed separately by the plant planners. This is because of different ownership structures where the studied company has the operative responsibility. The company is pursuing a system in which all planners conform to the same inventory management approach and evaluation, as well as being more cost efficient. Our work focuses on supporting this goal. We apply methods to decide the inventory control parameters for this system under a service level constraint. The methodology we use distinguishes unit-size and lot-size demand cases. We perform computational experiments to find control parameters for a sample of items. After the control parameters are found, we use them to explore the impact of risk pooling among the plants and inaccuracy arising from duplicate item codes.
|Date of creation:||08 Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: NHH, Department of Business and Management Science, Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway|
Phone: +47 55 95 92 93
Fax: +47 55 95 96 50
Web page: http://www.nhh.no/en/research-faculty/department-of-business-and-management-science.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vereecke, Ann & Verstraeten, Peter, 1994. "An inventory management model for an inventory consisting of lumpy items, slow movers and fast movers," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1-3), pages 379-389, June.
- Sridhar Bashyam & Michael C. Fu, 1998. "Optimization of (s, S) Inventory Systems with Random Lead Times and a Service Level Constraint," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(12-Part-2), pages S243-S256, December.
- Dekker, R. & Kleijn, M. J. & de Rooij, P. J., 1998.
"A spare parts stocking policy based on equipment criticality,"
International Journal of Production Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 69-77, September.
- Dekker, R. & Kleijn, M.J. & de Rooij, P.J., 1996. "A spare parts stocking policy based on equipment criticality," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 9625-/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Helmut Schneider & Jeffrey L. Ringuest, 1990. "Power Approximation for Computing (s, S) Policies Using Service Level," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(7), pages 822-834, July.
- Morris A. Cohen & Paul R. Kleindorfer & Hau L. Lee, 1988. "Service Constrained (s, S) Inventory Systems with Priority Demand Classes and Lost Sales," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(4), pages 482-499, April.
- Dunsmuir, W. T. M. & Snyder, R. N., 1989. "Control of inventories with intermittent demand," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 16-21, May.
- Snyder, R. D., 1984. "Inventory control with the gamma probability distribution," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 373-381, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:nhhfms:2012_006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stein Fossen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.