Brésil-Argentine : effets statiques et dynamiques de l'intégration commerciale
Is the trade integration of Argentina and Brazil favourable to their insertion in the world economy ? The static approach underlines the high costs of some activities of production, which are the subject of increasing exchanges under the protection of Mercosur's CET. But the simultaneous progression of regional preferences and of the revealed comparative advantages of some branches shows that the boom in regional trade can be compatible with multilateral performances. The dynamic approach integrates the expansion of bilateral intra-industry trade and makes it possible to detect gains of competitiveness due to tougher competition and to economies of scale. The context of new regionalism favours competitive effects : the long-term convergence of regional and multilateral preferences goes with an opening to foreign investments. Multinational firms renew the organisation and production methods of the automotive sector, yet without reorienting their strategy towards other markets than those of Latin America.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Working Paper du GATE 2001-15. 2001|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00179978|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ethier, Wilfred J, 1982. "National and International Returns to Scale in the Modern Theory of International Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 389-405, June.
- Yeats, Alexander, 1997. "Does Mercosur's trade performance raise concerns about the effects of regional trade arrangements?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1729, The World Bank.
- Lancaster, Kelvin, 1980. "Intra-industry trade under perfect monopolistic competition," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 151-175, May.
- Jean-Louis Mucchielli & B. Lassudrie-Duchêne, 1979. "Les échanges intra-branche et la hiérarchisation des avantages comparés dans le commerce international," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 30(3), pages 442-486.
- Ethier, Wilfred J, 1998. "The New Regionalism," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(449), pages 1149-61, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00179978. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.