Share repurchase regulations: do firms play by the rules?
Open market share repurchases are strictly regulated to prevent companies from profiting from insider information. We examine compliance with these rules in France, where the mandatory disclosure of share repurchases provides detailed information on repurchases actually undertaken. Using a database containing 36,848 repurchases made by 352 French firms over the period 2000-2002, we show that very few firms fully comply with the regulations for all their buybacks. Non-compliance has an adverse effect on liquidity only for the smallest and least liquid firms.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Publication status:||Published in International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, 2009, 29, pp.81-96. <10.1016/j.irle.2008.12.002>|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00143974|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Ikenberry & Josef Lakonishok & Theo Vermaelen, 1999.
"Stock Repurchases in Canada: Performance and Strategic Trading,"
NBER Working Papers
7325, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Ikenberry & Josef Lakonishok & Theo Vermaelen, 2000. "Stock Repurchases in Canada: Performance and Strategic Trading," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(5), pages 2373-2397, October.
- Ginglinger, Edith & Hamon, Jacques, 2007.
"Actual share repurchases, timing and liquidity,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 915-938, March.
- Lakonishok, Josef & Lee, Inmoo, 2001. "Are Insider Trades Informative?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 14(1), pages 79-111.
- Edith Ginglinger & Jean-Francois L'her, 2006.
"Ownership structure and open market stock repurchases in France,"
The European Journal of Finance,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(1), pages 77-94.
- Edith Ginglinger & Jean-François L'Her, 2006. "Ownership structure and open market stock repurchases in France," Post-Print halshs-00138292, HAL.
- Durnev, Art A. & Nain, Amrita S., 2007. "Does insider trading regulation deter private information trading? International evidence," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 409-433, November.
- William J. Mcnally & Brian F. Smith, 2003. "Do Insiders Play by the Rules?," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 29(2), pages 125-143, June.
- Douglas O. Cook & Laurie Krigman & J. Chris Leach, 2003. "An Analysis of SEC Guidelines for Executing Open Market Repurchases," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 76(2), pages 289-316, April.
- Zhang, Hua, 2005. "Share price performance following actual share repurchases," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1887-1901, July.
- Hans R. Stoll, "undated".
"The Pricing of Security Dealer Services: An Empirical Study of NASDAQ Stocks,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
13-77, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Stoll, Hans R, 1978. "The Pricing of Security Dealer Services: An Empirical Study of NASDAQ Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(4), pages 1153-1172, September.
- Bruno Biais & Pierre Hillion & Chester Spatt, 1999. "Price Discovery and Learning during the Preopening Period in the Paris Bourse," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 107(6), pages 1218-1248, December.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/399 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/1748 is not listed on IDEAS
- Raad, Elias & Wu, H K, 1995. "Insider Trading Effects on Stock Returns around Open-Market Stock Repurchase Announcements: An Empirical Study," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 18(1), pages 45-57, Spring.
- Leslie A. Jeng & Andrew Metrick & Richard Zeckhauser, 2003. "Estimating the Returns to Insider Trading: A Performance-Evaluation Perspective," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(2), pages 453-471, May.
- Meulbroek, Lisa K, 1992. " An Empirical Analysis of Illegal Insider Trading," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(5), pages 1661-1699, December.
- Harris, Lawrence E, 1994. "Minimum Price Variations, Discrete Bid-Ask Spreads, and Quotation Sizes," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 7(1), pages 149-178.
- Fried, Jesse M., 2005. "Informed Trading and False Signaling with Open Market Repurchases," Berkeley Olin Program in Law & Economics, Working Paper Series qt8x6082cn, Berkeley Olin Program in Law & Economics.
- Gustavo Grullon & Roni Michaely, 2004. "The Information Content of Share Repurchase Programs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(2), pages 651-680, 04.
- Utpal Bhattacharya & Hazem Daouk, 2002. "The World Price of Insider Trading," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 75-108, 02.
- Seyhun, H. Nejat, 1986. "Insiders' profits, costs of trading, and market efficiency," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 189-212, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00143974. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.