French firm's financing choices: towards a reconciliation of the static trade-off theory and the pecking order theory?
The main purpose of this study is to examine the validity of the static trade-off theory and the pecking order theory using a French panel data. Our empirical tests provide that we can not formally reject either of the two theories explaining financing behavior. However, they confirm the importance of considerations provided by the static trade-off theory. On the contrary, when we combine the adjustment model and the pecking order model we find that the statistical power of the hierarchical model is improved and the choice of financing of French firms confirms the greatest explanatory power of the pecking order hypotheses.
|Date of creation:||09 Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Global Economics, Finance and Management Conference, Jun 2011, TORONTO, Canada. pp.11, 2012|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00603762|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maria Psillaki & Nikolaos Daskalakis, 2009. "Are the determinants of capital structure country or firm specific?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 33(3), pages 319-333, October.
- Frank, Murray Z. & Goyal, Vidhan K., 2003. "Testing the pecking order theory of capital structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 217-248, February.
- D'Mello, Ranjan & Farhat, Joseph, 2008. "A comparative analysis of proxies for an optimal leverage ratio," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 213-227, August.
- Delcoure, Natalya, 2007. "The determinants of capital structure in transitional economies," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 400-415.
- Harris, Milton & Raviv, Artur, 1991. " The Theory of Capital Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(1), pages 297-355, March.
- Helwege, Jean & Liang, Nellie, 1996. "Is there a pecking order? Evidence from a panel of IPO firms," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 429-458, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:hal-00603762. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.