Les Determinants De La Gestion Des Resultats Lors Des Fusions: Etude Des Societes Absorbantes Initiatrices Et Cibles
Abstract: this study aims to identify earnings management determinants of acquiring firms prior to French mergers. Especially, it provides evidence of the contextual factors' crucial influence on managers' discretionary accounting choices, beyond contractual and governance factors generally assumed by the literature. Moreover, it reveals accounting behaviours that substantially differ according to the deal initiative. Finally, by highlighting the potential combination of manipulation instruments to influence the exchange ratio, this study contributes to shed new light on managers' accounting strategies prior to mergers and acquisitions.
|Date of creation:||10 May 2010|
|Publication status:||Published in Crises et nouvelles problématiques de la Valeur, May 2010, Nice, France. pp.CD-ROM, 2010|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00479535|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jennifer Boutant, 5/27. "Pratiques Comptables Des Dirigeants En Matiere D'Approche Multicriteres Et De Gestion Des Resultats Lors Des Fusions-Absorptions Francaises," Post-Print halshs-00459408, HAL.
- Heron, Randall & Lie, Erik, 2002. "Operating Performance and the Method of Payment in Takeovers," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 37(01), pages 137-155, March.
- Fields, Thomas D. & Lys, Thomas Z. & Vincent, Linda, 2001. "Empirical research on accounting choice," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-3), pages 255-307, September.
- Robert H. Chenhall & Frank Moers, 2007. "The Issue of Endogeneity within Theory-Based, Quantitative Management Accounting Research," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1), pages 173-196.
- DeAngelo, Linda Elizabeth, 1981. "Auditor size and audit quality," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 183-199, December.
- Louis, Henock, 2004. "Earnings management and the market performance of acquiring firms," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 121-148, October.
- Amihud, Yakov & Lev, Baruch & Travlos, Nickolaos G, 1990. " Corporate Control and the Choice of Investment Financing: The Case of Corporate Acquisitions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(2), pages 603-16, June.
- Shivakumar, Lakshmanan, 2000. "Do firms mislead investors by overstating earnings before seasoned equity offerings?," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 339-371, June.
- Antonia Botsari & Geoff Meeks, 2008. "Do Acquirers Manage Earnings Prior to a Share for Share Bid?," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(5-6), pages 633-670.
- Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R., 2001. "The theory and practice of corporate finance: evidence from the field," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2-3), pages 187-243, May.
- Steven Young, 2008. ""Discussion of" Do Acquirers Manage Earnings Prior to a Share for Share Bid," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(5-6), pages 671-678.
- Erickson, Merle & Wang, Shiing-wu, 1999. "Earnings management by acquiring firms in stock for stock mergers," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 149-176, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:hal-00479535. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.