"Making work pay" : from justifications to implementations
The aim of this paper is to discuss the relevance of «making work pay» policies from within. We first discuss the various justifications of the motto and then connect them to the existing variety of implementation experiences in Europe. We compare the classical organization of arguments behind the motto "making work pay" to an hourglass, the diversity of national institutions regarding work and social protection being one of its top parts ; work incentives constitute the narrow part ; lastly, the variety of implementations corresponds to its other wide end. We show that this unifying reasoning is not relevant and propose a model which corresponds to a more complex logic : the diversity of national institutions and implementations being matched by a set of different and conflicting objectives regarding work, whose dynamic dimension is gaining more and more importance. The policy debate should then be summed up by another motto : «Making transitions pay».
|Date of creation:||Sep 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00119155|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stéphane Paillaud & Didier Eyssartier, 1998. "Pâris, un outil d'évaluation dynamique du système fiscalo-social," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 318(1), pages 41-64.
- Hélène Zajdela & Danièle Guillemot & Patrick Pétour, 2002.
"Trappe à chômage ou trappe à pauvreté. Quel est le sort des allocataires du RMI ?,"
Programme National Persée, vol. 53(6), pages 1235-1252.
- Danièle Guillemot & Patrick Pétour & Hélène Zajdela, 2002. "Trappe à chômage ou trappe à pauvreté. Quel est le sort des allocataires du RMI ?," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 53(6), pages 1235-1252.
- Yannick L’Horty, 2004. "Revenu minimum et retour à l’emploi : une perspective européenne?," Documents de recherche 04-04, Centre d'Études des Politiques Économiques (EPEE), Université d'Evry Val d'Essonne.
- Christine Erhel & Bruno Palier, 2005. "Europe sociale et Europe de l'emploi : l'apport de Douglass North à l'explication des trajectoires nationales," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00271903, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:cesptp:halshs-00119155. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.