Growth, Capital Scrapping, and the Rate of Capacity Utilisation
The aim of this short article is to build a model in order to take into account capital scrapping (or bankruptcies) in an income distribution and growth model. The reason to introduce capital scrapping results from the intuition of some inconsistencies between theoretical predictions and empirical facts: the rate of capacity utilisation data often exhibit a greater stability than it is expected after reading theoretical models. We think that capital scrapping might contribute to stabilise the utilisation rate. The idea is as follows: an increase of the profit share implies a decrease of the rate of capacity utilisation which then involves a rise in capital scrapping (or in the rate of bankruptcies).
|Date of creation:||01 Nov 2008|
|Publication status:||Published in 12th Workshop on the Research Network "Macroeconomic Policies", Nov 2008, Berlin, Germany|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00355932|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Skott, 2012.
"Theoretical And Empirical Shortcomings Of The Kaleckian Investment Function,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(1), pages 109-138, 02.
- Peter Skott, 2008. "Theoretical and empirical shortcomings of the Kaleckian investment function," UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers 2008-11, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics, revised Dec 2009.
- Marc Lavoie & Gabriel Rodriguez & Mario Seccareccia, 2004. "Similitudes and Discrepancies in Post-Keynesian and Marxist Theories of Investment: A Theoretical and Empirical Investigation," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(2), pages 127-149.
- Olivier Allain & Nicolas Canry, 2007. "Distribution and Growth in France (1982-2006): A Cointegrated VAR Approach," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00192267, HAL.
- Bhaduri, Amit, 1972. "Unwanted Amortisation Funds," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(326), pages 674-677, June.
- Eckhard Hein & Lena Vogel, 2008. "Distribution and growth reconsidered: empirical results for six OECD countries," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(3), pages 479-511, May.
- Mario Cassetti, 2006. "A note on the long-run behaviour of Kaleckian models," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(4), pages 497-508.
- Steindl, Josef, 1979. "Stagnation Theory and Stagnation Policy," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 3(1), pages 1-14, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)