Determinants of the choice leasing vs Bank Loan: evidence from the french sme by Kacm
The question of leasing credit as a substitute or complement of a banking loan has still not been resolved in the financial literature. As a continuation of these arguments, the objective of this article is, on the one hand, to determine the characteristics of firms using leasing credit and on the other hand, to better understand the relationship between leasing and credit rationing. Firstly, our results suggest that SME use leasing all the more the leasing so when they are young, leveraged, less solvent and that they present an small size and an important failure probability. Thus, leasing pushes back the limits of banking debt for firms that have no access to it. Secondly, our results suggest a strong and significant relationship between credit rationing and the use of leasing. In this framework the latter appears to be a last resort financing.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Investigacion Operational, 2007, 28 (2), pp.120-130|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00204911|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven A. Sharpe & Hien H. Nguyen, 1994.
"Capital market imperfections and the incentive to lease,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
94-5, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Sharpe, Steven A. & Nguyen, Hien H., 1995. "Capital market imperfections and the incentive to lease," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2-3), pages 271-294.
- Mike Adams & Philip Hardwick, 1998. "Determinants of the leasing decision in United Kingdom listed companies," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(5), pages 487-494.
- Beattie, Vivien & Goodacre, Alan & Thomson, Sarah, 2000. "Operating leases and the assessment of lease-debt substitutability," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 427-470, March.
- Lewis, Craig M. & Schallheim, James S., 1992. "Are Debt and Leases Substitutes?," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(04), pages 497-511, December.
- DeAngelo, Harry & Masulis, Ronald W, 1980. " Leverage and Dividend Irrelevancy under Corporate and Personal Taxation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(2), pages 453-64, May.
- V. Sivarama Krishnan & R. Charles Moyer, 1994. "Bankruptcy Costs and the Financial Leasing Decision," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 23(2), Summer.
- Ang, James & Peterson, Pamela P, 1984. " The Leasing Puzzle," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1055-65, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:cesptp:hal-00204911. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.