Valuation of wetland ecosystems services. Some methodological principles (In French)
We all have become aware of the essential contribution of ecosystems to the human welfare. This is a strong driver for taking into account ecosystem services within decision processes. But the connection between ecosystems and theirs services is frequently neither readily apparent nor easy to measure. A lot of studies have been, and are always, dedicated to an evaluation of those services. Some are aiming a biophysical measure of the benefits, others try to reveal an economic value. Unfortunately, we find little evidence of ecosystem services based on clear economic or biophysical principles. This paper is a try to contribute to a better identification of arising problems and principles that should be adopted.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avenue Léon Duguit, 33608 Pessac Cedex|
Phone: +33 (0)220.127.116.11.75
Fax: +33 (0)18.104.22.168.47
Web page: http://gretha.u-bordeaux4.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Cornes, 1993. "Dyke Maintenance and Other Stories: Some Neglected Types of Public Goods," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 108(1), pages 259-271.
- Dunford, Richard W. & Ginn, Thomas C. & Desvousges, William H., 2004. "The use of habitat equivalency analysis in natural resource damage assessments," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 49-70, January.
- R. Turner & G. Daily, 2008. "The Ecosystem Services Framework and Natural Capital Conservation," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 39(1), pages 25-35, January.
- Pagiola, Stefano, 2008.
"Payments for environmental services in Costa Rica,"
Elsevier, vol. 65(4), pages 712-724, May.
- Boyd, James & Banzhaf, H. Spencer, 2006. "What Are Ecosystem Services?," Discussion Papers dp-06-02, Resources For the Future.
- Frank Lupi & Michael D. Kaplowitz & John P. Hoehn, 2002. "The Economic Equivalency of Drained and Restored Wetlands in Michigan," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(5), pages 1355-1361.
- Boyd, James & Banzhaf, Spencer, 2007. "What are ecosystem services? The need for standardized environmental accounting units," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(2-3), pages 616-626, August.
- Unsworth, Robert E. & Bishop, Richard C., 1994. "Assessing natural resource damages using environmental annuities," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 35-41, September.
- Kosoy, Nicolás & Corbera, Esteve, 2010. "Payments for ecosystem services as commodity fetishism," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(6), pages 1228-1236, April.
- Olivier Aznar & Marc Guérin & Philippe Perrier-Cornet, 2005. "Agriculture de service, services environnementaux et politiques publiques," Working Papers halshs-00005469, HAL.
- Riera, Pere, 2008. "Does the equivalency analysis of the European Environmental Liability Directive pass a social cost-benefit analysis test?," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 225-226, November.
- Johansson, Per-Olov & Kriström, Bengt, 2010. "A note on how to undertake a cost-benefit analysis in monetary and environmental units," CERE Working Papers 2010:1, CERE - the Center for Environmental and Resource Economics.
- Hallwood, Paul, 2007. "Contractual difficulties in environmental management: The case of wetland mitigation banking," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(2-3), pages 446-451, August.
- Linda Fernandez & Larry Karp, 1998. "Restoring Wetlands Through Wetlands Mitigation Banks," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 12(3), pages 323-344, October.
- Kontogianni, Areti & Luck, Gary W. & Skourtos, Michalis, 2010. "Valuing ecosystem services on the basis of service-providing units: A potential approach to address the 'endpoint problem' and improve stated preference methods," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(7), pages 1479-1487, May.
- Jack Hirshleifer, 1983. "From weakest-link to best-shot: The voluntary provision of public goods," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 371-386, January.
- Wunder, Sven & Engel, Stefanie & Pagiola, Stefano, 2008. "Taking stock: A comparative analysis of payments for environmental services programs in developed and developing countries," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(4), pages 834-852, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:grt:wpegrt:2012-19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Emmanuel Petit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.