Throwing Foreign Aid at HIV/AIDS in Developing Countries: Missing the Target?
We assess empirically whether foreign official development assistance (ODA) has been effective in alleviating HIV/AIDS epidemics, which figures prominently among the Millennium Development Goals. We employ a difference-in-difference-in-differences approach to identify the treatment effect of ODA specifically meant to fight sexually transmitted diseases on HIV/AIDS-related outcome variables. We do not find that ODA has prevented new infections to an extent that would have reduced the number of people living with HIV. By contrast, ODA has contributed effectively to the medical care of infected people. However, conclusive evidence on significant treatment effects on AIDS-related deaths only exists for the major bilateral source of ODA, the United States. In particular, targeted US assistance programs appear to be more effective than the activities of multilateral organizations.
|Date of creation:||31 Aug 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Platz der Goettinger Sieben 3; D-37073 Goettingen, GERMANY|
Phone: +49 551 39 14066
Fax: + 49 551 39 14059
Web page: http://www.uni-goettingen.de/en/82144.html
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Axel Dreher & Peter Nunnenkamp & Rainer Thiele, 2006.
"Does Aid for Education Educate Children? Evidence from Panel Data,"
KOF Working papers
06-146, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Axel Dreher & Peter Nunnenkamp & Rainer Thiele, 2008. "Does Aid for Education Educate Children? Evidence from Panel Data," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 22(2), pages 291-314, April.
- Axel Dreher & Peter Nunnenkamp & Rainer Thiele, 2006. "Does Aid for Education Educate Children? Evidence from Panel Data," Kiel Working Papers 1290, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Dreher, Axel & Nunnenkamp, Peter & Thiele, Rainer, 2006. "Does aid for education educate children? Evidence from panel data," Kiel Working Papers 1290, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Dreher, Axel & Nunnenkamp, Peter & Thiele, Rainer, 2008. "Does Aid for Education Educate Children? Evidence from Panel Data," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 28827, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Wacziarg, Romain & Alesina, Alberto & Devleeschauwer, Arnaud & Easterly, William & Kurlat, Sergio, 2002.
1744, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Alberto Alesina & Arnaud Devleeschauwer & William Easterly & Sergio Kurlat & Romain Wacziarg, 2002. "Fractionalization," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1959, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Alesina, Alberto & Devleeschauwer, Arnaud & Wacziarg, Romain & Kurlat, Sergio & Easterly, William, 2003. "Fractionalization," Scholarly Articles 4553003, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alberto Alesina & Arnaud Devleeschauwer & William Easterly & Sergio Kurlat & Romain Wacziarg, 2003. "Fractionalization," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/229724, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Alberto Alesina & Arnaud Devleeschauwer & William Easterly & Sergio Kurlat & Romain Wacziarg, 2003. "Fractionalization," NBER Working Papers 9411, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hristos Doucouliagos & Martin Paldam, 2005.
"The Aid Effectiveness Literature. The Sad Result of 40 Years of Research,"
Economics Working Papers
2005-15, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Hristos Doucouliagos & Martin Paldam, 2009. "The Aid Effectiveness Literature: The Sad Results Of 40 Years Of Research," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(3), pages 433-461, 07.
- Doucouliagos , H. & Paldam, M., 2007. "The aid effectiveness literature: The sad results of 40 years of research," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0773, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Claudia R. Williamson, 2008. "Foreign Aid and Human Development: The Impact of Foreign Aid to the Health Sector," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 75(1), pages 188-207, July.
- Busse, Matthias & Gröning, Steffen, 2009.
"Does foreign aid improve governance?,"
Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 76-78, August.
- Busse, Matthias & Groening, Steffen, 2010. "Does Foreign Aid Improve Governance?," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Hannover 2010 6, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Alberto Abadie, 2005. "Semiparametric Difference-in-Differences Estimators," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 72(1), pages 1-19.
- Dollar, David & Alesina, Alberto, 2000.
"Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?,"
4553020, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Caryn Anne Peiffer & Constantine Boussalis, 2010. "Foreign Assistance and the Struggle Against HIV/AIDS in the Developing World," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(3), pages 556-573.
- L. Randall Wray & Stephanie Bell, 2004. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Credit and State Theories of Money, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Nicoli Nattrass, 2006. "What Determines Cross-Country Access to Antiretroviral Treatment?," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 24(3), pages 321-337, 05.
- Edoardo Gaffeo, 2003. "The Economics of HIV/AIDS: A Survey," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 21(1), pages 27-49, 01.
- Mishra, Prachi & Newhouse, David, 2009. "Does health aid matter?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 855-872, July.
- Mark McGillivray & Simon Feeny & Niels Hermes & Robert Lensink, 2006. "Controversies over the impact of development aid: it works; it doesn't; it can, but that depends …," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(7), pages 1031-1050.
- Morfit, N. Simon, 2011. ""AIDS is Money": How Donor Preferences Reconfigure Local Realities," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 64-76, January.
- Rati Ram, 2003. "Roles of Bilateral and Multilateral Aid in Economic Growth of Developing Countries," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(1), pages 95-110, February.
- Tim Allen, 2004. "Introduction: why don't HIV|AIDS policies work?," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(8), pages 1123-1127.
- Sarantis Kalyvitis & Irene Vlachaki, 2010. "Democratic Aid And The Democratization Of Recipients," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 28(2), pages 188-218, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:got:gotcrc:042. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dominik Noe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.