The lender of last resort : a historical perspective
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- McKinnon, Ronald I, 1982. "Currency Substitution and Instability in the World Dollar Standard," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 320-333, June.
- David Laidler, 1981. "Adam Smith as a Monetary Economist," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 14(2), pages 185-200, May.
- Robert A. Mundell, 1983. "International Monetary Options," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 3(1), pages 189-210, Spring.
- Thomas M. Humphrey, 1975. "The classical concept of the lender of last resort," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Jan, pages 2-9.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- O'Driscoll, Gerald P., 1984. "Safety-net mechanisms: the case of international lending," Working Papers 8404, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Antoine Martin, 2002. "Reconciling Bagehot with the Fed's response to Sept. 11," Research Working Paper RWP 02-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Fernando Ossa, 2003. "Los Bancos Centrales como Prestamistas de Última Instancia," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 40(120), pages 323-335.
- Marvin Goodfriend & Jeffrey M. Lacker, 1999. "Limited commitment and central bank lending," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Fall, pages 1-27.
- Laurent Le Maux & Laurence Scialom, 2013.
"Central banks and financial stability: rediscovering the lender-of-last-resort practice in a finance economy,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 37(1), pages 1-16.
- Laurent Le Maux & Laurence Scialom, 2013. "Central banks and financial stability: rediscovering the lender-of-last-resort practices in a finance economy," Post-Print hal-01385834, HAL.
- Marvin Goodfriend & Robert G. King, 1988.
"Financial deregulation, monetary policy, and central banking,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue May, pages 3-22.
- Goodfriend, M. & King, R.G., 1988. "Financial Deregulation, Monetary Policy, And Central Banking," RCER Working Papers 121, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Marvin Goodfriend & Robert G. King, 1988. "Financial deregulation, monetary policy, and central banking," Working Paper 88-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Vincent Bignon & Marc Flandreau & Stefano Ugolini, 2012.
"Bagehot for beginners: the making of lender‐of‐last‐resort operations in the mid‐nineteenth century,"
Economic History Review,
Economic History Society, vol. 65(2), pages 580-608, May.
- Vincent Bignon & Marc Flandreau & Stefano Ugolini, 2009. "Bagehot for beginners: The making of lending of last resort operations in the mid-19th century," Working Paper 2009/22, Norges Bank.
- Vincent Bignon & Marc Flandreau & Stefano Ugolini, 2012. "Bagehot for Beginners : The Making of Lender of Last Resort Operations in the Mid-Nineteenth Century," Post-Print halshs-00844045, HAL.
- Toporowski, Jan, 2006. "Open market operations : beyond the new consensus," Research Discussion Papers 14/2006, Bank of Finland.
- Charles Goodhart, 1999. "Myths About the Lender of Last Resort," FMG Special Papers sp120, Financial Markets Group.
- Marie-Laure Djelic & Joel Bothello, 2013. "Limited liability and its moral hazard implications: the systemic inscription of instability in contemporary capitalism," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/153e5es3a89, Sciences Po.
- E Philip Davis, 2008. "Liquidity, Financial Crises and the Lender of Last Resort – How Much of a Departure is the Sub-prime Crisis?," RBA Annual Conference Volume,in: Paul Bloxham & Christopher Kent (ed.), Lessons from the Financial Turmoil of 2007 and 2008 Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Walker F. Todd, 1993. "FDICIA's emergency liquidity provisions," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q III, pages 16-23.
- Andreas Dombret & Otto Lucius (ed.), 2013. "Stability of the Financial System," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 15454, June.
- Gertrude Tumpel-Gugerell, 2013. "Lender of Last Resort - Which Institution Could Best Fulfill this Function?," Chapters,in: Stability of the Financial System, chapter 24 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Vitor Gaspar, 2014. "The Making of a Continental Financial System; Lessons for Europe from Early American History," IMF Working Papers 14/183, International Monetary Fund.
- Vincent Bignon & Marc Flandreau & Stefano Ugolini, 2009.
"Bagehot for beginners: The making of lending of last resort operations in the mid-19th century,"
2009/22, Norges Bank.
- Vincent Bignon & Marc Flandreau & Stefano Ugolini, 2012. "Bagehot for beginners: The Making of Lending of Last Resort Operations in the Mid-19th Century," Post-Print hal-01410545, HAL.
- Bastidon, Cécile & Gilles, Philippe & Huchet, Nicolas, 2008.
"The international lender of last resort and selective bail-out,"
Emerging Markets Review,
Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 144-152, June.
- Cécile Bastidon & Philippe Gilles & Nicolas Huchet, 2008. "The international lender of last resort and selective bail-out," Post-Print hal-01298849, HAL.
- Laurent Le Maux, 2004.
"L'émergence d'une banque supérieure sous le régime de la liberté bancaire,"
Recherches économiques de Louvain,
De Boeck Université, vol. 70(2), pages 193-221.
- Laurent LE MAUX, 2004. "L’émergence d’une banque supérieure sous le régime de la liberté bancaire," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 2004024, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Antoine Martin, 2008. "Reconciling Bagehot with the Fed's response to September 11," Staff Reports 217, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Stanley Fischer, 1999. "On the Need for an International Lender of Last Resort," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 13(4), pages 85-104, Fall.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 2014.
"Never Say Never: Commentary on a Policymaker’s Reflections,"
IMF Economic Review,
Palgrave Macmillan;International Monetary Fund, vol. 62(4), pages 656-693, November.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 2014. "Never Say Never: Commentary on a Policymaker’s Reflections," CEPR Discussion Papers 9802, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
More about this item
KeywordsLenders of last resort ; Money supply;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedrwp:84-03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Pascasio). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/frbrius.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.