Optimal auctions with multidimensional types and the desirability of exclusion
Within the context of a single-unit, independent private values auction model, we show that if bidder types are multidimensional, then under the optimal auction exclusion of some bidder types will occur. A second contribution of the paper is methodological in nature. In particular, we identify conditions under which an auction model with multidimensional types can be reduced to a model with one dimensional types without loss of generality. Reduction results of this type have achieved the status of folklore in the mechanism design literature. Here, we provide a proof of the reduction result for auctions.
|Date of creation:||01 Mar 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Praia de Botafogo 190, sala 1100, Rio de Janeiro/RJ - CEP: 22253-900|
Web page: http://epge.fgv.br
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paulo Barelli & Suren Basov & Mauricio Bugarin & Ian King, 2012.
"The Robustness of Exclusion in Multi-dimensional Screening,"
RCER Working Papers
571, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Paulo Barelli & Suren Basov & Mauricio Bugarin & Ian King, 2012. "The Robustness of Exclusion in Multi-dimensional Screening," RCER Working Papers 576, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Roger B. Myerson, 1978. "Optimal Auction Design," Discussion Papers 362, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Monteiro, Paulo Klinger & Svaiter, Benar Fux, 2010.
"Optimal auction with a general distribution: Virtual valuation without densities,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 21-31, January.
- Svaiter, Benar Fux & Monteiro, P. K., 2008. "Optimal auction with a general distribution: virtual valuation without densities," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 681, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Paulo Monteiro, 2009.
"Abstract types and distributions in independent private value auctions,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 40(3), pages 497-507, September.
- Monteiro, P. K., 2007. "Abstract types and distributions in independent private value auctions," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 643, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Armstrong, Mark, 1996. "Multiproduct Nonlinear Pricing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(1), pages 51-75, January.
- Bulow, Jeremy & Roberts, John, 1989. "The Simple Economics of Optimal Auctions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(5), pages 1060-1090, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fgv:epgewp:537. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Núcleo de Computação da EPGE)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.