Productivity and FDI of Taiwan Firms: A review from a nonparametric approach
This paper examines whether firms' productivity and the attributes of foreign direct investment (FDI) destinations affect both the choice of these destination as well as the accumulated number. The results of our examination, using firm-level data of Taiwan, present new evidence: (i) the productivity of firms conducting FDI in high-wage countries is higher than that in low-wage countries, but is not higher than the productivity of non-FDI firms; and (ii) the higher the productivity, the larger the number of FDI destinations regardless of the market attributes. These results provide the policy implication that government support for raising the productivity and lowering the cost of internationalization will accelerate the internationalization of Taiwan firms and eventually enhance economic growth in Taiwan.
|Date of creation:||May 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- WAKASUGI Ryuhei & TODO Yasuyuki & SATO Hitoshi & NISHIOKA Shuichiro & MATSUURA Toshiyuki & ITO Banri & TANAKA Ayumu, 2008. "The Internationalization of Japanese Firms: New Findings Based on Firm-Level Data," Discussion papers 08036, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Tomiura, Eiichi, 2007.
"Foreign outsourcing, exporting, and FDI: A productivity comparison at the firm level,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 113-127, May.
- Eiichi Tomiura, 2005. "Foreign Outsourcing, Exporting, and FDI: A Productivity Comparison at the Firm Level," Discussion Paper Series 168, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:118:y:2003:i:4:p:1375-1418 is not listed on IDEAS
- Delgado, Miguel A. & Farinas, Jose C. & Ruano, Sonia, 2002. "Firm productivity and export markets: a non-parametric approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 397-422, August.
- Ryuhei Wakasugi & Ayumu Tanaka, 2012. "Productivity Heterogeneity and Internationalization: Evidence from Japanese Firms," Millennial Asia, , vol. 3(1), pages 45-70.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eti:dpaper:12033. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.