Gender Development Indicators: Issues, Debates and Ranking of Districts
The present study emphasizes on independent variable analysis in assessing gender development at the disaggregated district level to account for problems such as the major contradiction facing this century which relates to development sans equality, growth without equitable distribution, prosperity alongside rising gender inequalities, none of which are natural but are rather influenced by social and cultural factors.This paper is divided into seven sections. After the introduction, the second section deals with some of the debates and measures of development indicators. Section three presents the methodology, objectives and scope of the study. The fourth section discusses the selected indicators along with a state level analysis of each of them. A detailed presentation of district-wise data analysis is undertaken in the fifth section under specific sub-heads of demographic, educational, health, sociocultural and economic indicators. The main findings are presented in the sixth section. Some concluding remarks, including directions for further explorations and limitations of the present study are provided in the last section. [CWDS]
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Larson, David A. & Wilford, Walton T., 1979. "On the physical quality of life index and evaluating economic welfare between nations," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 193-197.
- Haddad, L. & Kanbur, R., 1989.
"How Serious Is The Neglectof Intra-Household Inequality?,"
450, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Haddad, Lawrence & Kanbur, Ravi, 1990. "How Serious Is the Neglect of Intra-Household Inequality?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(402), pages 866-81, September.
- Haddad, Lawrence & Kanbur, Ravi, 1989. "How serious is the neglect of intrahousehold inequality ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 296, The World Bank.
- Larson, David A. & Wilford, Walton T., 1979. "The physical quality of life index: A useful social indicator?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 7(6), pages 581-584, June.
- Woolley, Frances R & Marshall, Judith, 1994.
"Measuring Inequality within the Household,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 40(4), pages 415-31, December.
- Dijkstra, A.G. & Hanmer, L.C., 1997. "Measuring socio-economic gender inequality : towards an alternative to the UNDP gender-related development index," ISS Working Papers - General Series 18993, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
- Hicks, Norman & Streeten, Paul, 1979. "Indicators of development: The search for a basic needs yardstick," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 7(6), pages 567-580, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:2522. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.