The Value of Inaccurate Advance Time Window Information in a Pick-up and Delivery Problem
We examine different routing strategies to cope with inaccurate time window in- formation in the context of a dynamic pick-up and delivery problem with time windows. Our experiments show that advance information, even if inaccurate, can provide benefits from a planning perspective. We propose a novel stochastic strategy that consistently performs well compared to several benchmark strategies.
|Date of creation:||27 Jan 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: RSM Erasmus University & Erasmus School of Economics, PoBox 1738, 3000 DR Rotterdam|
Phone: 31-10-408 1182
Fax: 31-10-408 9020
Web page: http://www.erim.eur.nl/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ghiani, Gianpaolo & Guerriero, Francesca & Laporte, Gilbert & Musmanno, Roberto, 2003. "Real-time vehicle routing: Solution concepts, algorithms and parallel computing strategies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 151(1), pages 1-11, November.
- Barrett W. Thomas & Chelsea C. White, 2004. "Anticipatory Route Selection," Transportation Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(4), pages 473-487, November.
- Gianpaolo Ghiani & Emanuele Manni & Barrett W. Thomas, 2012. "A Comparison of Anticipatory Algorithms for the Dynamic and Stochastic Traveling Salesman Problem," Transportation Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(3), pages 374-387, August.
- Soumia Ichoua & Michel Gendreau & Jean-Yves Potvin, 2006. "Exploiting Knowledge About Future Demands for Real-Time Vehicle Dispatching," Transportation Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(2), pages 211-225, May.
- Tjokroamidjojo, Darsono & Kutanoglu, Erhan & Taylor, G. Don, 2006. "Quantifying the value of advance load information in truckload trucking," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 340-357, July.
- Mitrovic-Minic, Snezana & Krishnamurti, Ramesh & Laporte, Gilbert, 2004. "Double-horizon based heuristics for the dynamic pickup and delivery problem with time windows," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 38(8), pages 669-685, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ems:eureri:50394. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RePub)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.