The Gini coefficient for a mixture of Ln-Normal populations
I present a formula which allows for the calculation of the Gini coefficient when the overall population distribution is unknown, but there is some information on the Gini coefficients or moments of population sub-groups. When applied to data on the global and US income distribution, it proves to be extremely accurate, producing estimates with errors that are small fractions of one percent.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: LSE Library Portugal Street London, WC2A 2HD, U.K.|
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bourguignon, Francois, 1979. "Decomposable Income Inequality Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(4), pages 901-20, July.
- Dirk Krueger & Fabrizio Perri, 2002.
"Does Income Inequality Lead to Consumption Inequality? Evidence and Theory,"
NBER Working Papers
9202, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dirk Kreuger & Fabrizio Perri, 2002. "Does Income Inequality Lead to Consumption Inequality? Evidence and Theory," Working Papers 02-15, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Krueger, Dirk & Perri, Fabrizio, 2005. "Does income inequality lead to consumption inequality? Evidence and theory," CFS Working Paper Series 2005/15, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Dirk Krueger & Fabrizio Perri, 2005. "Does income inequality lead to consumption equality? evidence and theory," Staff Report 363, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Modalsli, Jørgen, 2011.
"Inequality and growth in the very long run: inferring inequality from data on social groups,"
11/2011, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Jørgen Modalsli, 2013. "Inequality and growth in the very long run: Inferring inequality from data on social groups," Discussion Papers 734, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Shorrocks, A F, 1980. "The Class of Additively Decomposable Inequality Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(3), pages 613-25, April.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 2006. "The World Distribution of Income: Falling Poverty and … Convergence, Period," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 121(2), pages 351-397.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ehl:lserod:54246. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (LSERO Manager)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.