Determinants of bilateral foreing direct investment flows in the OECD, with a closer look at the former coummunist countries
The main purpose of this paper is to study the determinants of bilateral foreign direct investment (hereafter FDI) flows in OECD countries. Special emphasis is placed on the new Central and Eastern European members (Hungary, the Czech Republic and Poland) in order to assess whether they differ from those of the OECD on the whole. Our theoretical framework is based on the OLI paradigm (ownership, location, internalization) developed in Dunning (1974, 1980 and 1993). The panel data estimation takes into account the ideas suggested in Zhang and Markusen (1997). According to our findings the variables that can best explain the bilateral FDI flows within the OECD are: on the one hand, the technological superiority of the investor vis-à-vis the host and, on the other, the relative abundance of physical capital, the endowments of human capital, transport infrastructure, and the size of the host countries, which clearly act as a factor of attraction for FDI.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ucm.es/info/econeuro
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Despacho 104.Pabelloon de Segundo, Facultad de Economicas. Universidad Complutense de Madrid. 28223 Pozuelo de Alarcon, Madrid|
Web: http://www.ucm.es/info/econeuro Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barro, Robert J. & Lee, Jong-Wha, 1993.
"International comparisons of educational attainment,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 363-394, December.
- Robert J. Barro & Jong-Wha Lee, 1993. "International Comparisons of Educational Attainment," NBER Working Papers 4349, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hausman, Jerry A. & Taylor, William E., 1981.
"Panel data and unobservable individual effects,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 155-155, May.
- John H Dunning, 1980. "Towards an Eclectic Theory of International Production: Some Empirical Tests," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 11(1), pages 9-31, March.
- Kenneth A. Froot, 1993. "Foreign Direct Investment," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number froo93-1, December.
- Martín, Carmela & Velazquez, Francisco J, 1997. "The Determining Factors of Foreign Direct Investment in Spain and the rest of the OECD: Lessons for CEECs," CEPR Discussion Papers 1637, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- James R. Markusen, 1995. "The Boundaries of Multinational Enterprises and the Theory of International Trade," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 169-189, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eeg:euroeg:2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ismael Sanz)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Ismael Sanz to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.