Reversed Score and Likelihood Ratio Tests
Two extensions of a model in the presence of an alternative model are proposed. The extensions are based on the score function of the alternative model. It is shown that the encompassing hypothesis is equivalent to standard conditions on the score of each of the extended models. The condition on the first extension gives rise to the standard score encompassing test, while the condition on the second extension induces a so-called reversed score encompassing test. A similar logic is applied to the likelihood ratio, thus generating a likelihood ratio and a reversed likelihood ratio encompassing test. The ensued test statistics can be based on simulations if certain calculations are to difficult to carry out analytically. We study the first-order asymptotic properties of the proposed test statistics under general conditions.
|Date of creation:||01 Aug 2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 1 212 998 3820|
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrews, Donald W. K., 1987.
"Asymptotic Results for Generalized Wald Tests,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(03), pages 348-358, June.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1985. "Asymptotic Results for Generalized Wald Tests," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 761R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Apr 1986.
- Tauchen, George, 1985. "Diagnostic testing and evaluation of maximum likelihood models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 415-443.
- Gourieroux, Christian & Monfort, Alain & Trognon, Alain, 1983. "Testing nested or non-nested hypotheses," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 83-115, January.
- Bierens, Herman J, 1990. "A Consistent Conditional Moment Test of Functional Form," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(6), pages 1443-1458, November.
- Bierens, H.J., 1989. "A consistent conditional moment test of functional form," Serie Research Memoranda 0064, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Gouriéroux, Christian & Monfort, Alain, 1995. "Testing, Encompassing, and Simulating Dynamic Econometric Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(02), pages 195-228, February.
- Gouriéroux, Christian & Monfort, Alain, 1994. "Testing, encompassing and simulating dynamic econometric models," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9406, CEPREMAP.
- Mizon, Grayham E & Richard, Jean-Francois, 1986. "The Encompassing Principle and Its Application to Testing Non-nested Hypotheses," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 657-678, May.
- Newey, Whitney K, 1985. "Maximum Likelihood Specification Testing and Conditional Moment Tests," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(5), pages 1047-1070, September.
- White, Halbert, 1982. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Misspecified Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Sawa, Takamitsu, 1978. "Information Criteria for Discriminating among Alternative Regression Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1273-1291, November.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:11:y:1995:i:2:p:195-228 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gourieroux, C. & Monfort, A., 1986. "Testing non-nested hypotheses," Handbook of Econometrics,in: R. F. Engle & D. McFadden (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 44, pages 2583-2637 Elsevier. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)