Optimal Rules under Adjustment Cost and Infrequent Information
A large number of microeconomic decision variables such as investments, prices, inventories or employment are characterized by intermittent large adjustments. The behavior of those variables has been often modeled as following state-dependent rules. The optimality of such state-dependent rules depends crucially on the continuous observation of the relevant state, an assumption which is far from being fulfilled in practice. We propose an alternative model, where at least part of information about the relevant state variable is infrequent. We study several alternatives. We start with the special case where innovations are infrequent, but are readily observed. Only in this case are optimal rules state-dependent. We then explore the common case of infrequent and delayed information. It may arrive at deterministic times, like periodic macroeconomic statistics, or stochastically, when some events trigger announcements. Part of the relevant information may be continuously observed, while the other part is only observed infrequently. The resulting rules are time and state dependent, characterized by trigger and target points that are functions of the time spent since the last time of information arrival. We derive the conditions which characterize the optimal rules and provide numerical algorithms for each case
|Date of creation:||11 Aug 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 1 212 998 3820|
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marcelo L. Veracierto, 2002.
"Plant-Level Irreversible Investment and Equilibrium Business Cycles,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 92(1), pages 181-197, March.
- Marcelo Veracierto, 1997. "Plant level irreversible investment and equilibrium business cycles," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 115, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Marcelo Veracierto, 1998. "Plant level irreversible investment and equilibrium business cycles," Working Paper Series WP-98-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Leif Danziger, 1999.
"A Dynamic Economy with Costly Price Adjustments,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(4), pages 878-901, September.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:102:y:1987:i:4:p:703-25 is not listed on IDEAS
- BONOMO, Marco & GARCIA, René, 1997.
"The Macroeconomic Effects of Infrequent Information with Adjustment Costs,"
Cahiers de recherche
9716, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Marco Bonomo & René Garcia, 2001. "The macroeconomic effects of infrequent information with adjustment costs," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 34(1), pages 18-35, February.
- Bonomo, M. & Garcia, R., 1997. "The Macroeconomic Effects of Infrequent Information With Adjustment Costs," Cahiers de recherche 9716, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Bonomo, Marco Antônio Cesar & Garcia, René, 2000. "The Macroeconomic Effects of Infrequent Information With Adjustment Costs," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 384, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:114:y:1999:i:2:p:655-690 is not listed on IDEAS
- Laurence Ball & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1992.
"Asymmetric Price Adjustment and Economic Fluctuations,"
NBER Working Papers
4089, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ball, Laurence & Mankiw, N Gregory, 1994. "Asymmetric Price Adjustment and Economic Fluctuations," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(423), pages 247-61, March.
- Ball, L. & Mankiw, N.G., 1992. "Asymmetric Price Adjustment and Economic Fluctuations," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1602, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Ederington, Louis H & Lee, Jae Ha, 1993. " How Markets Process Information: News Releases and Volatility," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(4), pages 1161-91, September.
- Taylor, John B, 1979. "Staggered Wage Setting in a Macro Model," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(2), pages 108-13, May.
- Caplin, A. & Leahy, J., 1992.
"Aggregation and Optimization with State-Dependent Pricing,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1595, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Andrew Caplin & John Leahy, 1997. "Aggregation and Optimization with State-Dependent Pricing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 601-626, May.
- Marco Bonomo & Carlos Carvalho, 2004.
"Endogenous Time-Dependent Rules and Inflation Inertia,"
0402005, EconWPA, revised 19 May 2005.
- Bonomo, Marco & Carvalho, Carlos, 2004. "Endogenous Time-Dependent Rules and Inflation Inertia," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(6), pages 1015-41, December.
- Taylor, John B, 1980.
"Aggregate Dynamics and Staggered Contracts,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(1), pages 1-23, February.
- Andrew C. Caplin & Daniel F. Spulber, 1987.
"Menu Costs and the Neutrality of Money,"
NBER Working Papers
2311, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Almeida Neto, Heitor Vieira de & Bonomo, Marco Antônio Cesar, 1999.
"Optimal State-Dependent Rules, Credibility, and Inflation Inertia,"
Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE)
349, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Almeida, Heitor & Bonomo, Marco, 2002. "Optimal state-dependent rules, credibility, and inflation inertia," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(7), pages 1317-1336, October.
- Yun, Tack, 1996. "Nominal price rigidity, money supply endogeneity, and business cycles," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 345-370, April.
- Carvalho, Carlos Viana de & Bonomo, Marco Antônio Cesar, 1999. "Endogenous time-dependent rules and inflation inertia: preliminary version," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 348, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Tsiddon, Daniel, 1993. "The (Mis)Behaviour of the Aggregate Price Level," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(4), pages 889-902, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecm:latm04:135. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.