Initial public offerings (IPOs): The Spanish experience
This study examines the Spanish IPOs and possible links between a firm's characteristics and the degree of mispricing. The results are consistent with those of similar studies in other countries. Data reveal that the price adjustment process of Spanish IPOs needed, on average, a longer period of time. This study provides evidence that IPOs in the Spanish market have experienced, on average, an underpricing of 11%. In addition, it is possible to reduce the degree of underpricing by selecting the optimum timing, correct underwriter, and type of placement. Handsome returns may be earned by investing in new issues, but liquidating holdings in the first 90 days after the first market price. Our results reveal a low level of efficiency for the Spanish IPO markets over the period of 1986-90.
|Date of creation:||11 Mar 1993|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IESE Business School, Av Pearson 21, 08034 Barcelona, SPAIN|
Web page: http://www.iese.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Randolph P. Beatty & Jay R. Ritter, .
"Investment Banking, Reputation and the Underpricing of Initial Public Offerings,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
2-85, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Beatty, Randolph P. & Ritter, Jay R., 1986. "Investment banking, reputation, and the underpricing of initial public offerings," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 213-232.
- Randolph P. Beatty & Jay R. Ritter, . "Investment Banking, Reputation and the Underpricing of Initial Public Offerings," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 02-85, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Tinic, Seha M, 1988. " Anatomy of Initial Public Offerings of Common Stock," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(4), pages 789-822, September.
- McDonald, J G & Fisher, A K, 1972. "New Issue Stock Price Behavior," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 27(1), pages 97-102, March.
- Ibbotson, Roger G & Jaffe, Jeffrey F, 1975. ""Hot Issue" Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 30(4), pages 1027-42, September.
- Brown, J Michael, 1970. "Post-Offering Experience of Companies Going Public," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(1), pages 10-18, January.
- Hayne E. Leland and David H. Pyle., 1976.
"Informational Asymmetries, Financial Structure, and Financial Intermediation,"
Research Program in Finance Working Papers
41, University of California at Berkeley.
- Leland, Hayne E & Pyle, David H, 1977. "Informational Asymmetries, Financial Structure, and Financial Intermediation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 371-87, May.
- Barry, Christopher B. & Brown, Stephen J., 1985. "Differential Information and Security Market Equilibrium," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(04), pages 407-422, December.
- Allen, Franklin & Faulhaber, Gerald R., 1989. "Signalling by underpricing in the IPO market," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 303-323, August.
- Rock, Kevin, 1986. "Why new issues are underpriced," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 187-212.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebg:iesewp:d-0243. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Noelia Romero)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.