Value-relevance of expensed and capitalized intangibles - a French survey
Significant difference exists between the market value and book value of firms. It could be attributed to the fact that intangible assets are not reflected in the financial statements. Our resuls indicate a statistical association between the "capitalized goodwill" and the market-to-book ratio, but do not indicate any statistical link with the "expensed intangible-intensity" nor the "capitalized intangible-intensity". These results support and contradict, for a part, the explanation on the loss of value relevance of financioal information, which could be due to the non-recognized intangibles in financial statements. However, the differing French and American accounting treatments of intangible expenditures may explain why these expenses are not taken into account by french capital markets when estimating the value of companies.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: ESSEC Research Center, BP 105, 95021 Cergy, France|
Web page: http://www.essec.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lakonishok, Josef & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1994.
" Contrarian Investment, Extrapolation, and Risk,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 49(5), pages 1541-78, December.
- Josef Lakonishok & Robert W. Vishny & Andrei Shleifer, 1993. "Contrarian Investment, Extrapolation, and Risk," NBER Working Papers 4360, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Josef Lakonishok & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1993. "Contrarian Investment, Extrapolation, and Risk," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 84, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Baruch Lev & Theodore Sougiannis, 1999. "Penetrating the Book-to-Market Black Box: The R&D Effect," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(3-4), pages 419-449.
- Lustgarten, Steven & Thomadakis, Stavros, 1987. "Mobility Barriers and Tobin's q," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(4), pages 519-37, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebg:essewp:dr-03022. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sophie Magnanou)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.