Determining General and Specific Purpose Transfers : An Integrated Approach
This study attempts to provide an alternative methodology to calculate the horizontal equalization transfers. This methodology follows the Australian horizontal equalization principle using a panel model methodology where both revenue and expenditure side considerations are involved. First, it applies the Canadian model in calculating the fiscal capacity equalization. Then the expenditure side equalization has been carried out for two services - education and health. Results of the exercise indicate that the transfers suggested by the panel model are more progressive than the TFC recommended transfers.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: JG Crawford Building #13, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, ACT 0200|
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ross Garnaut & Vince FitzGerald, 2002. "Issues in Commonwealth-State Funding," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 35(3), pages 290-300.
- Rangarajan, C. & Srivastava, D.K., 2004. "Fiscal transfer in Canada: Drawing comparisons and lessons," Working Papers 04/18, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Rangarajan, C. & Srivastava, D.K., 2004. "Fiscal transfer in Australia: Review and relevance to India," Working Papers 04/20, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Robin W. Boadway & Frank R. Flatters, 1982. "Efficiency and Equalization Payments in a Federal System of Government: A Synthesis and Extension of Recent Results," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 15(4), pages 613-33, November.
- Ross Garnaut, 2002. "Equity and Australian Development: Lessons from the First Century," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 35(3), pages 227-243.
- James M. Buchanan & Richard E. Wagner, 1970. "An Efficiency Basis for Federal Fiscal Equalization," NBER Chapters, in: The Analysis of Public Output, pages 139-162 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eab:microe:22943. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.