A proposal for decomposing and adjusting the conventional Divisia index for the measure of productivity
This paper proposes a general framework for decomposing (without incorporating restrictive assumptions) the conventional Divisia index of productivity into for types of effects: technological, subequilibrium, scale, and so -called "market" effects or mark-ups. We believe, however, that this last component is due to a "defect" in the aggregation of the productions in the Divisia index itself, in situations where the conditions of long-run competitive equilibrium are not meet in the product markets. Therefore we adjust the index and conclude with a decomposition equation (with technical subequilibrium and scale effects) which is flexible and generic. Use of the framework is illustrated empirical for the Spanish energy mining sector.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: (981) 56 31 00 Ext: 11518|
Fax: (981) 56 36 37
Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/welcomei.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berndt, Ernst R. & Fuss, Melvyn A., 1986. "Productivity measurement with adjustments for variations in capacity utilization and other forms of temporary equilibrium," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 7-29.
- Flaig, Gebhard & Steiner, Viktor, 1993.
"Searching for the \"productivity slowdown’: some surprising findings from West German manufacturing,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
20364, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Flaig, Gebhard & Steiner, Viktor, 1993. "Searching for the "Productivity Slowdown": Some Surprising Findings from West German Manufacturing," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(1), pages 57-65, February.
- Berndt, Ernst R & Morrison, Catherine J, 1981. "Capacity Utilization Measures: Underlying Economic Theory and an Alternative Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(2), pages 48-52, May.
- Usher, D, 1974.
"The Suitability of the Divisia Index for the Measurement of Economic Aggregates,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 20(3), pages 273-88, September.
- Dan Usher, 1973. "The Suitability of the Divisia Index for the Measurement of Economic Aggregates," Working Papers 109, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Diewert, W. E., 1976. "Exact and superlative index numbers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 115-145, May.
- Hulten, Charles R, 1973. "Divisia Index Numbers," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(6), pages 1017-25, November.
- Diewert, W E, 1971. "An Application of the Shephard Duality Theorem: A Generalized Leontief Production Function," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(3), pages 481-507, May-June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eaa:ecodev:41. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.