Are there contagion or competition effects for non rated firms?The case of successive bond rating downgrades of Alcatel
The object of this paper is to study the impact of successive changes in ratings of the leading firm on non rated firms belonging to the same stock index sector. Two courses of research are being mobilized regarding, on the one hand, the incidence of downgrading of ratings on the value of the firms and on the other hand, the contagion effects associated with the report of bad news. The analysis of the successive downgrading of the ratings of Alcatel, world leader in the telecommunications infrastructure, allows us to point out minor contagion effects among non rated French firms belonging to the same stock index sector.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2 Bd Gabriel, BP 26611, 21066 Dijon Cedex, France|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Angèle Renaud, CREGO, 2 Bd Gabriel, BP 26611, 21066 Dijon Cedex, France|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Doron Kliger & Oded Sarig, 2000.
"The Information Value of Bond Ratings,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 55(6), pages 2879-2902, December.
- Doron Kliger & Oded Sarig, "undated". "The Information Value of Bond Ratings," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 13-97, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- M.J. Barron & A.D. Clare & S.H. Thomas, 1997. "The Effect of Bond Rating Changes and New Ratings on UK Stock Returns," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(3), pages 497-509.
- H. Kent Baker & Sattar A. Mansi, 2002. "Assessing Credit Rating Agencies by Bond Issuers and Institutional Investors," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(9&10), pages 1367-1398.
- Hand, John R M & Holthausen, Robert W & Leftwich, Richard W, 1992. " The Effect of Bond Rating Agency Announcements on Bond and Stock Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 733-752, June.
- Fenn, George W. & Cole, Rebel A., 1994. "Announcements of asset-quality problems and contagion effects in the life insurance industry," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 181-198, April.
- Caton, Gary L & Goh, Jeremy, 2003. "Are All Rivals Affected Equally by Bond Rating Downgrades?," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 20(1), pages 49-62, January.
- Gregory R. Duffee, 1998. "The Relation Between Treasury Yields and Corporate Bond Yield Spreads," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(6), pages 2225-2241, December.
- Akhigbe, Aigbe & Madura, Jeff & Whyte, Ann Marie, 1997. "Intra-industry Effects of Bond Rating Adjustments," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 20(4), pages 545-561, Winter.
- Ederington, Louis H. & Goh, Jeremy C., 1998. "Bond Rating Agencies and Stock Analysts: Who Knows What When?," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 33(04), pages 569-585, December.
- Richard Cantor & Frank Packer & Kevin Cole, 1997. "Split ratings and the pricing of credit risk," Research Paper 9711, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Akhigbe, Aigbe & Madura, Jeff, 2001. "Why do contagion effects vary among bank failures?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 657-680, April.
- Aharony, Joseph & Swary, Itzhak, 1996. "Additional evidence on the information-based contagion effects of bank failures," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 57-69, January.
- Fields, Joseph A & Klein, Linda S & Myskowski, Edward G, 1998. "Lloyd's Financial Distress and Contagion within the US Property and Liability Insurance Industry," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 173-185, May-June.
- Longstaff, Francis A & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1995. " A Simple Approach to Valuing Risky Fixed and Floating Rate Debt," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(3), pages 789-819, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dij:wpfarg:1070603. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angèle RENAUD)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.