Perspectives on non-financial indicators as a strategic management accounting tool:A French inquiry
In this article, we present the evolution of management accounting and the strategic management accounting (SMA) concept. The balanced scorecard (BSC), a SMA tool, is quite famous in European countries. Its principle objective is to articulate planning decisions with control ones thanks to non-financial indicators. Contractual theories constitute the foundations of this tool. But in Northern Europe, some specific BSC are designed in the framework of knowledge-based theories.We describe here the results of an inquiry conducted in France. Its aims are mainly to test the usefulness of non-financial indicators in driving a firm’s objectives and the link between the use of non-financial indicators and the performance. We demonstrate that the French managers associate non-financial indicators with strategic objectives. But we also conclude that they believe that there is no direct link between the use of non-financial metrics and the performance.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2 Bd Gabriel, BP 26611, 21066 Dijon Cedex, France|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Angèle Renaud, CREGO, 2 Bd Gabriel, BP 26611, 21066 Dijon Cedex, France|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gérard Charreaux, 2005. "Pour une gouvernance d’entreprise «comportementale»:une réflexion exploratoire-Toward a Behavioral Corporate Governance Theory : An Exploratory View," Working Papers CREGO 1050601, Université de Bourgogne - CREGO EA7317 Centre de recherches en gestion des organisations.
- Govindarajan, V. & Gupta, Anil K., 1985. "Linking control systems to business unit strategy: impact on performance," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 51-66, January.
- Gérard Charreaux, 2004. "Corporate Governance Theories: From Micro Theories to National Systems Theories," Working Papers CREGO 1041202, Université de Bourgogne - CREGO EA7317 Centre de recherches en gestion des organisations.
- Bromwich, Michael, 1990. "The case for strategic management accounting: The role of accounting information for strategy in competitive markets," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 27-46.
- Perera, S. & Harrison, G. & Poole, M., 1997. "Customer-focused manufacturing strategy and the use of operations-based non-financial performance measures: A research note," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 557-572, August.
- Ittner, Christopher D. & Larcker, David F. & Randall, Taylor, 2003. "Performance implications of strategic performance measurement in financial services firms," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 28(7-8), pages 715-741.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dij:wpfarg:1060905. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angèle RENAUD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.