Backhouse and Boianovsky on 'disequilibrium theory'. A review article of Transforming modern macroeconomics. Exploring disequilibrium microfoundations, 1956-2003
In this review article of Backhouse and Boianovskyâ€™s book, Transforming modern macroeconomics. Exploring disequilibrium microfoundations, 1956-2003, I make the following points: (a) Backhouse and Boianovskyâ€™s too broad understanding of the disequilibrium approach results in their bringing together theories that should be kept separate. While the disequilibrium label fits the works of Patinkin, Clower and Leijonhuvud, it betrays the project of Barro and Grossman, DrÃ¨ze and Benassy who strived at producing an equilibrium theory. (b) I put in question their claim that an inner link exists between disequilibrium and fixed price equilibrium theories and imperfect competition modeling. (c) I try to identify the deep nature of the controversy in which these authors were involved. (d) I put forward a few conjectures about the reason why fixed price modeling petered out.
|Date of creation:||24 Feb 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Place Montesquieu 3, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10473945
Web page: https://uclouvain.be/en/research-institutes/immaq/ires
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michel, DE VROEY, 2005. "Involuntary Unemployment : the Elusive Quest for a Theory," Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques) 2005004, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Pedro Garcia Duarte & Michel De Vroey, 2014.
"In Search Of Lost Time: The Neoclassicalsynthesis,"
Anais do XL Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 40th Brazilian Economics Meeting]
005, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- De Vroey Michel & Duarte Pedro Garcia, 2013. "In search of lost time: the neoclassical synthesis," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 13(1), pages 1-31, January.
- Michel De Vroey & Pedro Garcia Duarte, 2012. "In Search of Lost Time: The Neoclassical Synthesis," Working Papers, Department of Economics 2012_07, University of São Paulo (FEA-USP).
- Michel DE VROEY & Pedro GARCIA DUARTE, 2012. "In Search Of Lost Time: The Neoclassical Synthesis," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2012026, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Backhouse,Roger E. & Boianovsky,Mauro, 2014.
"Transforming Modern Macroeconomics,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9781107435384.
- Anna BATYRA & Michel DE VROEY, 2009.
"From one to many islands : the emergence of search and matching models,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
2009005, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Anna Batyra & Michel De Vroey, 2012. "From One To Many Islands: The Emergence Of Search And Matching Models," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(3), pages 393-414, 07.
- Muellbauer, John & Portes, Richard, 1978. "Macroeconomic Models with Quantity Rationing," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(352), pages 788-821, December.
- Michel De Vroey, 2012.
"Marshall and Walras: Incompatible bedfellows?,"
The European Journal of the History of Economic Thought,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(5), pages 765-783, October.
- Michel DE VROEY, 2009. "Marshall and Walras : Incompatible Bedfellows ?," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2009008, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Diamond, Peter A, 1982.
"Aggregate Demand Management in Search Equilibrium,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(5), pages 881-894, October.
- Michel, DE VROEY, 2005.
"Did the market-clearing postulate pre-exist new classical economics ? The case of Marshallian theory,"
Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques)
2005011, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Michel De Vroey, 2007. "Did The Market-Clearing Postulate Pre-Exist New Classical Economics? The Case Of Marshallian Theory," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 75(3), pages 328-348, 06.
- Oliver Hart, 1982. "A Model of Imperfect Competition with Keynesian Features," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 97(1), pages 109-138.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ctl:louvir:2014006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne DAVISTER-LOGIST)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.