Existence, Uniqueness and Stability of Equilibrium in an Overlapping Generation Model with Monopolistic Competition and Free Entry and Exit of Firms
In this paper we have analyzed existence, uniqueness and stability of a steady-state equilibrium in an overlapping generations model with monopolistic competition and free entry and exit of firms. We establish a strenghtened Inada condition that is sufficient to exclude global contraction for any given set of well-behaved preferences. We also establish sufficient conditions for a non-trivial steady-state equilibrium to exist, and also sufficient conditions for its uniqueness and global stability. We show that the size of mark-up over marginal cost and the particular mix of fixed costs play a crucial role in these conditions and consequently on the dynamic behavior of the economy
|Date of creation:||01 Oct 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 10473945
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/ires
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1998. "Technological Progress, Job Creation and Job Destruction," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 1(4), pages 733-753, October.
- Jeremy Greenwood & Boyan Jovanovic, 2000.
"Accounting for Growth,"
RCER Working Papers
475, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Aghion, Philippe & Howitt, Peter, 1994.
"Growth and Unemployment,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(3), pages 477-94, July.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Mohamad L. Hammour, 1994.
"On the Timing and Efficiency of Creative Destruction,"
NBER Working Papers
4768, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Caballero, Ricardo J & Hammour, Mohamad L, 1996. "On the Timing and Efficiency of Creative Destruction," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 111(3), pages 805-52, August.
- King, Ian & Welling, Linda, 1995. "Search, unemployment, and growth," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 499-507, June.
- Steven J. Davis & John C. Haltiwanger & Scott Schuh, 1998. "Job Creation and Destruction," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262540932, June.
- Boeri, Tito & Cramer, Ulrich, 1992. "Employment growth, incumbents and entrants : Evidence from Germany," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 545-565, December.
- Greenwood, J. & Hercowitz, Z. & Krusell, P., 1998.
"The Role of Investment-Specific Technological Change in the Business Cycle,"
RCER Working Papers
449, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Hercowitz, Zvi & Krusell, Per, 2000. "The role of investment-specific technological change in the business cycle," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 91-115, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ctl:louvir:2001032. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne DAVISTER-LOGIST)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.