A functional data based method for time series classification
We propose using the integrated periodogram to classify time series. The method assigns a new element to the group minimizing the distance from the integrated periodogram of the element to the group mean of integrated periodograms. Local computation of these periodograms allows the application of the approach to nonstationary time series. Since the integrated periodograms are functional data, we apply depth-based techniques to make the classification robust. The method provides small error rates with both simulated and real data, and shows good computational behaviour.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://portal.uc3m.es/portal/page/portal/dpto_estadistica
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maharaj, Elizabeth A. & Alonso, Andres M., 2007. "Discrimination of locally stationary time series using wavelets," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 879-895, October.
- Gareth M. James & Trevor J. Hastie, 2001. "Functional linear discriminant analysis for irregularly sampled curves," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 63(3), pages 533-550.
- Hsiao-Yun Huang & Hernando Ombao & David S. Stoffer, 2004. "Discrimination and Classification of Nonstationary Time Series Using the SLEX Model," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 99, pages 763-774, January.
- James G.M. & Sugar C.A., 2003. "Clustering for Sparsely Sampled Functional Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 98, pages 397-408, January.
- Shumway, Robert H., 2003. "Time-frequency clustering and discriminant analysis," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 307-314, July.
- Sakiyama, Kenji & Taniguchi, Masanobu, 2004. "Discriminant analysis for locally stationary processes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 282-300, August.
- Chandler, Gabriel & Polonik, Wolfgang, 2006. "Discrimination of Locally Stationary Time Series Based on the Excess Mass Functional," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 240-253, March.
- Ombao H. C & Raz J. A & von Sachs R. & Malow B. A, 2001. "Automatic Statistical Analysis of Bivariate Nonstationary Time Series," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 543-560, June.
- Ferraty, F. & Vieu, P., 2003. "Curves discrimination: a nonparametric functional approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 161-173, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cte:wsrepe:ws087427. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.