Performance and Characteristics of Swedish Mutual Funds 1993-97
The performance, and its characteristics, of Swedish-based equity and bond mutual funds are studied in detail. Accounting for survivorship biases, regular equity funds have a slight overperformance, equity funds with certain tax advantages have a negative performance (before tax), and bond funds a clear underperformance. The performance is related to fund specific characteristics such as netflows of new money into funds, past performance, expense measures, commissions paid by the funds, turnover, and the size of funds. The economic importance of the cross-sectional differences is quantified by investigating various trading strategies.
|Date of creation:||Jun 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ferson, Wayne E & Schadt, Rudi W, 1996. " Measuring Fund Strategy and Performance in Changing Economic Conditions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(2), pages 425-61, June.
- Henriksson, Roy D & Merton, Robert C, 1981. "On Market Timing and Investment Performance. II. Statistical Procedures for Evaluating Forecasting Skills," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(4), pages 513-33, October.
- Elton, Edwin J & Gruber, Martin J & Blake, Christopher R, 1996. "The Persistence of Risk-Adjusted Mutual Fund Performance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 69(2), pages 133-57, April.
- Jon A. Christopherson & Wayne E. Ferson & Debra A. Glassman, 1996.
"Conditioning Manager Alphas on Economic Information: Another Look at the Persistence of Performance,"
NBER Working Papers
5830, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopherson, Jon A & Ferson, Wayne E & Glassman, Debra A, 1998. "Conditioning Manager Alphas on Economic Information: Another Look at the Persistence of Performance," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 11(1), pages 111-42.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Dahlquist, Magnus & Söderlind, Paul, 1997.
"Evaluating Portfolio Performance with Stochastic Discount Factors,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
175, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 01 Sep 1998.
- Dahlquist, Magnus & Soderlind, Paul, 1999. "Evaluating Portfolio Performance with Stochastic Discount Factors," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72(3), pages 347-83, July.
- Dahlquist, Magnus & Söderlind, Paul, 1997. "Evaluating Portfolio Performance with Stochastic Discount Factors," CEPR Discussion Papers 1663, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Erik R. Sirri & Peter Tufano, 1998. "Costly Search and Mutual Fund Flows," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(5), pages 1589-1622, October.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Mark Grinblatt & Sheridan Titman, . "Portfolio Performance Evaluation: Old Issues and New Insights," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 22-88, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Griliches, Zvi, 1986. "Economic data issues," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 25, pages 1465-1514 Elsevier.
- Elton, Edwin J & Gruber, Martin J & Blake, Christopher R, 1996. "Survivorship Bias and Mutual Fund Performance," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(4), pages 1097-1120.
- Connie Becker & Wayne Ferson & David Myers & Michael Schill, 1998. "Conditional Market Timing with Benchmark Investors," NBER Working Papers 6434, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goetzmann, W.N., 1993. "Attrition and Mutual Fund Performance," Papers 93-01, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1969. "Risk, The Pricing of Capital Assets, and the Evaluation of Investment Portfolios," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 42(2), pages 167-247, April.
- Goetzmann, W.N. & Ibbotson, R.G., 1990. "Do Winners Repeat? Patterns in Mutual Fund Behavior," Papers fb-_91-04, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:2166. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.