A branch-and-cut algorithm for the single commodity uncapacitated fixed charge network flow problem
We present a branch-and-cut algorithm to solve the single commodity uncapacitated fixed charge network flow problem, which includes the Steiner tree problem, uncapacitated lot-sizing problems, and the fixed charge transportation problem as special cases. The cuts used are simple dicut inequalities and their variants. A crucial problem when separating these inequalities is to find the right cut set on which to generate the inequalities. The prototype branch-and-cut system, bc-nd includes a separation heuristic for the dicut inequalities, and problem specific primal heuristics, branching and pruning rules. Computational results show that bc-nd is competitive compared to a variety of special purpose algorithms for problems with explicit flow costs. We also examine how general purpose MIP systems perform on such problems when provided with formulations that have been tightened a priori with dicut inequalities.
|Date of creation:||00 Oct 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- GüNLüCK, Oktay & POCHET, Yves, 1998. "Mixing mixed-integer inequalities," CORE Discussion Papers 1998011, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Sun, Minghe & Aronson, Jay E. & McKeown, Patrick G. & Drinka, Dennis, 1998. "A tabu search heuristic procedure for the fixed charge transportation problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 106(2-3), pages 441-456, April.
- MARCHAND, Hugues & MARTIN, Alexander & WEISMANTEL, Robert & WOLSEY, Laurence, 1999. "Cutting planes in integer and mixed integer programming," CORE Discussion Papers 1999053, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Schaffer, Joanne R. & O'Leary, Daniel E., 1989. "Use of penalties in a branch and bound procedure for the fixed charge transportation problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 305-312, December.
- Rardin, Ronald L. & Wolsey, Laurence A., 1993. "Valid inequalities and projecting the multicommodity extended formulation for uncapacitated fixed charge network flow problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 95-109, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2000049. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.