Enrollment and Quality Levels of Colombia's Public Basic Education: Has Fiscal Decentralization Improved Them?
This paper provides empirical evidence of the impact of fiscal decentralization on Colombia's public basic education. Based on the social and economic data available for 1,003 municipalities and 13,670 public schools, for the last decade, we confirmed that decentralization has had a positive and non-monotone effect on education enrollment. Likewise, our results suggest that it has had a positive impact on quality, once several variables, commonly used to explain performance differences, were controlled. Assuming that the effects of decentralization might have been uneven between regions and within them, we specified panel data and cross section econometric models for all municipalities as a whole, for size-based municipal categories, and for the towns which receive education funding directly from the central government or not.
|Date of creation:||10 Jan 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles M. Tiebout, 1956. "A Pure Theory of Local Expenditures," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64, pages 416-416.
- Richard M. Bird, 2012.
"Subnational Taxation in Large Emerging Countries: BRIC Plus One,"
06, University of Toronto, Institute on Municipal Finance and Governance.
- Richard M. Bird, 2012. "Subnational Taxation in Large Emerging Countries: BRIC Plus One," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper1201, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Ligia Melo B., "undated".
"Impacto de la Descentralización Fiscal sobre la Educación Pública Colombiana,"
Borradores de Economia
350, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Ligia Melo Becerra, 2005. "Impacto De La Descentralización Fiscal Sobre La Educación Pública Colombiana," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002802, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Emilie Caldeira & Grégoire Rota-Graziosi & Martial Foucault, 2012.
"Does Decentralization Facilitate Access to Poverty-Related Services? Evidence from Benin?,"
- Emilie Caldeira & Martial Foucault & Grégoire Rota-Graziosi, 2014. "Does Decentralization Facilitate Access to Poverty-Related Services? Evidence from Benin," NBER Chapters, in: African Successes, Volume I: Government and Institutions, pages 57-102 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Emilie Caldeira & Martial Foucault & Grégoire Rota-Graziosi, 2012. "Does Decentralization Facilitate Access to Poverty-Related Services? Evidence from Benin," NBER Working Papers 18118, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jean-Paul Faguet & Fabio Sanchez, 2006.
"Decentralizationâ€™s effects on educational outcomes in Bolivia and Colombia,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
2397, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Faguet, Jean-Paul & Sánchez, Fabio, 2008. "Decentralization's Effects on Educational Outcomes in Bolivia and Colombia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 1294-1316, July.
- Jean-Paul Faguet & Fabio Sanchez, 2006. "Decentralization´S Effects On Educational Outcomes In Bolivia And Colombia," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 002255, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Jean-Paul Faguet & Fabio Sanchez, 2006. "Decentralization’S Effects On Educational Outcomes In Bolivia And Colombia," STICERD - Development Economics Papers - From 2008 this series has been superseded by Economic Organisation and Public Policy Discussion Papers 47, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000094:010387. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Clorith Angélica Bahos Olivera)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.