Hysteresis in Dynamic General Equilibrium Models with Cash-in-Advance Constraints
In this paper, we investigate equilibrium cycles in dynamic general equilibrium models with cash-in-advance constraints. Our findings are two-fold. First, in such models, if an equilibrium cycle exists, then there also exists a continuum of equilibrium cycles in its neighborhood. Second, the limit cycle, to which a dynamic path converges, varies continuously according to the initial distribution of the money holdings. Thus, temporary shocks that affect the initial distribution have permanent effects in such models; that is, such models exhibit hysteresis. Furthermore, we also explore the logic behind the results.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033|
Web page: http://www.carf.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/english/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Lawrence H. Summers, 1986.
"Hysteresis and the European Unemployment Problem,"
NBER Working Papers
1950, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Baldwin, 1988.
"Hysteresis In Import Prices: The Beachhead Effect,"
NBER Working Papers
2545, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ruilin Zhou, 1996.
"Individual and aggregate real balances in a random matching model,"
222, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Zhou, Ruilin, 1999. "Individual and Aggregate Real Balances in a Random-Matching Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(4), pages 1009-1038, November.
- Ruilin Zhou, 1996. "Individual and Aggregate Real Balances in a Random Matching Model," GE, Growth, Math methods 9612001, EconWPA, revised 23 Dec 1996.
- Franz, Wolfgang, 1990.
"Hysteresis in economic relationships: An overview,"
Discussion Papers, Series II
104, University of Konstanz, Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) 178 "Internationalization of the Economy".
- Olivier J. Blanchard, 1986.
"Hysteresis and Unemployment,"
430, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Edward J. Green & Ruilin Zhou, 2002.
"Dynamic Monetary Equilibrium in a Random Matching Economy,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(3), pages 929-969, May.
- Edward J. Green & Ruilin Zhou, 2000. "Dynamic monetary equilibrium in a random-matching economy," Working Paper Series WP-00-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Kamiya, Kazuya & Shimizu, Takashi, 2006.
"Real indeterminacy of stationary equilibria in matching models with divisible money,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(4-5), pages 594-617, August.
- Kazuya Kamiya & Takashi Shimizu, 2005. "Real Indeterminacy of Stationary Equilibria in Matching Models with Divisible Money," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-390, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Akihiko Matsui & Takashi Shimizu, 2005. "A Theory Of Money And Marketplaces," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 46(1), pages 35-59, 02.
- Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro & Wright, Randall, 1989. "On Money as a Medium of Exchange," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 927-954, August.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1980. "Equilibrium in a Pure Currency Economy," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 18(2), pages 203-220, April.
- Green, Edward J. & Zhou, Ruilin, 1998.
"A Rudimentary Random-Matching Model with Divisible Money and Prices,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 252-271, August.
- Edward J. Green & Ruilin Zhou, 1996. "A Rudimentary Random-Matching Model with Divisible Money and Prices," GE, Growth, Math methods 9606001, EconWPA, revised 25 Jul 1996.
- Kazuya Kamiya & Takashi Shimizu, 2013. "Dynamic Auction Markets with Fiat Money," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 45(2-3), pages 349-378, 03.
- Kazuya Kamiya & Takashi Shimizu, 2007.
"On The Role Of Tax Subsidy Scheme In Money Search Models,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 48(2), pages 575-606, 05.
- Kazuya Kamiya & Takashi Shimizu, 2005. "On the Role of Tax-Subsidy Scheme in Money Search Models," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-323, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Mitra, Tapan & Nishimura, Kazuo, 2001. "Discounting and Long-Run Behavior: Global Bifurcation Analysis of a Family of Dynamical Systems," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 96(1-2), pages 256-293, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cfi:fseres:cf232. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.