Internet Cluster Emergence
Internet development holds the promise of transmitting economic value across physical space at zero marginal cost. In such a 'weightless economy', what factors matter for the location of economic activity and thus for economic development? This paper sketches a model of spatial dynamics over a three-dimensional globe, where transportation costs don't matter. The paper develops conditions under which clusters of activity emerge.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://cep.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/series.asp?prog=CEP|
- Quah, Danny, 2002. "Technology Dissemination and Economic Growth: Some Lessons for the New Economy," CEPR Discussion Papers 3207, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Quah, Danny, 2003.
"Digital Goods and the New Economy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3846, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Danny Quah, 2003. "Digital Goods and the New Economy," CEP Discussion Papers dp0563, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Raphael Suire & Jérome Vicente, 2009. "Why do some places succeed when others decline? A social interaction model of cluster viability," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(3), pages 381-404, May.
- Raphaël Suire & Jérôme Vicente, 2008. "Why do some places succeed when others decline : a social interaction model of cluster viability," Post-Print halshs-00325986, HAL.
- Jérôme Vicente & Raphaël Suire, 2009. "Why Do Some Places Succeed When Others Decline? A Social Interaction Model of Cluster Viability," Post-Print hal-00418539, HAL.
- Raphaël Suire & Jérôme Vicente, 2009. "Why do some places succeed when others decline? A social interaction model of cluster viability," Post-Print halshs-00377138, HAL.
- Bischi, G.-I. & Dawid, H. & Kopel, M., 2003. "Gaining the competitive edge using internal and external spillovers: a dynamic analysis," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(11), pages 2171-2193.
- Bischi, G. -I. & Dawid, H. & Kopel, M., 2003. "Gaining the competitive edge using internal and external spillovers: a dynamic analysis," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(11-12), pages 2171-2193, September.
- Koski, H. & Rouvinen, P. & Yla-Anttila, P., 2002. "ICT clusters in Europe The great central banana and the small Nordic potato," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 145-165, June.
- Koski, Heli & Rouvinen, Petri & Yla-Anttila, Pekka, 2001. "ICT Clusters in Europe. The Great Central Banana and the Small Nordic Potato," WIDER Working Paper Series 006, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Zakaria Babutsidze & Robin Cowan, 2014. "Showing or telling? Local interaction and organization of behavior," Journal of Economic Interaction and Coordination, Springer;Society for Economic Science with Heterogeneous Interacting Agents, vol. 9(2), pages 151-181, October.
- Oliviero A. Carboni, 2013. "Investment in Information and Communication Technologies (ICT): The Role of Geographic Distance and Industry Proximity," The Review of Regional Studies, Southern Regional Science Association, vol. 43(2,3), pages 191-212, Winter.
- Jung, Juan, 2014. "Regional inequalities in the impact of broadband on productivity: Evidence from Brazil," MPRA Paper 56177, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yannis Ioannides, 2006. "Topologies of social interactions," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 28(3), pages 559-584, 08.
- Yannis Ioannides, 2001. "Topologies of Social Interactions," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0104, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Yannis M. Ioannides, 2004. "Topologies Of Social Interactions," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 287, Econometric Society.
- Danny Quah, 2002. "Technology dissemination and economic growth: some lessons for the new economy," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2118, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Orlando Gomes, 2004. "Location Dynamics and Knowledge Agglomeration," Urban/Regional 0409012, EconWPA.
- Danny Quah, 2002. "Technology Dissemination and Economic Growth: Some Lessons for the New Economy," CEP Discussion Papers dp0522, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Danny Quah, 2003. "Digital goods and the new economy," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2236, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Raphaël Suire & Jérome Vicente & Yan Dala Pria, 2006. "Why some clusters succeed whereas others decline ? Modelling the ambivalent stability properties of clusters," Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen) 200619, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cep:cepdps:dp0441. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
Follow series, journals, authors & more
New papers by email
Subscribe to new additions to RePEc
Public profiles for Economics researchers
Various rankings of research in Economics & related fields
Who was a student of whom, using RePEc
Curated articles & papers on various economics topics
Upload your paper to be listed on RePEc and IDEAS
Blog aggregator for economics research
Cases of plagiarism in Economics
Job Market Papers
RePEc working paper series dedicated to the job market
Pretend you are at the helm of an economics department
Services from the StL Fed
Data, research, apps & more from the St. Louis Fed