Manufacturing Firms' Decisions Regarding Retiree Health Insurance
This study analyzes the firm’s decision to offer and contribute to retiree health insurance. We apply a binomial probit model and an interval regression model to analyze the likelihood of offering and the proportion of costs contributed by the firm. Our findings indicate that while firm characteristics affect the probability that a firm offers retiree health insurance, financial performance and alternative insurance options significantly affect the firm’s generosity towards its cost. This study expands on previous research by including potentially important policy-related measures to the more limited set of firm and workforce characteristics that have been typically employed.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 4600 Silver Hill Road, Washington, DC 20233|
Phone: (301) 763-6460
Fax: (301) 763-5935
Web page: http://www.census.gov/ces
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas C. Buchmueller & John Dinardo & Robert G. Valletta, 2002.
"Union Effects on Health Insurance Provision and Coverage in the United States,"
Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 55(4), pages 610-627, July.
- Thomas C. Buchmueller & John DiNardo, 2001. "Union Effects on Health Insurance Provision and Coverage in the United States," NBER Working Papers 8238, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas C. Buchmueller & John DiNardo & Robert G. Valletta, 2000. "Union effects on health insurance provision and coverage in the United States," Working Paper Series 2000-04, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Gruber, J. & Madrian, B.C., 1994.
"Health Insurance Availability and the Retirement Decision,"
94-04, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Gruber, Jonathan & Madrian, Brigitte C, 1995. "Health-Insurance Availability and the Retirement Decision," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(4), pages 938-48, September.
- Jonathan Gruber & Brigitte C. Madrian, 1993. "Health Insurance Availability and the Retirement Decision," NBER Working Papers 4469, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan L. Gustman & Thomas L. Steinmeier, 1993.
"Employer Provided Health Insurance and Retirement Behavior,"
NBER Working Papers
4307, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan L. Gustman & Thomas L. Steinmeier, 1994. "Employer-Provided Health Insurance and Retirement Behavior," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 48(1), pages 124-140, October.
- Lynn A. Karoly & Jeannette A. Rogowski, 1994. "The Effect of Access to Post-Retirement Health Insurance on the Decision to Retire Early," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 48(1), pages 103-123, October.
- Born, Patricia H, 2001. "Insurer Profitability in Different Regulatory and Legal Environments," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 19(3), pages 211-37, July.
- repec:mpr:mprres:3302 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cen:wpaper:03-14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fariha Kamal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.