On the Robustness of Economic Models
We investigate the different ways in which the results of theoretical models can be ‘robust’. We identify three kinds of ‘robustness’: (1) robustness to changes in the model’s idealisations; (2) robustness to changes in the ‘background’ conditions; (3) robustness to changes in the implied causal mechanism. Each of these is discussed and illustrated by means of examples from economic practice.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0039 035 2052111
Web page: http://www.unibg.it/struttura/en_struttura.asp?cerca=en_dse_intro
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maki, Uskali, 2000. "Kinds of Assumptions and Their Truth: Shaking an Untwisted F-Twist," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(3), pages 317-36.
- Marcel Boumans & Mary Morgan, 2002. "Ceteris paribus conditions: materiality and the application of economic theories," Journal of Economic Methodology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1), pages 11-26.
- Grether, David M & Plott, Charles R, 1979.
"Economic Theory of Choice and the Preference Reversal Phenomenon,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 69(4), pages 623-38, September.
- Grether, David M. & Plott, Charles R., . "Economic Theory of Choice and the Preference Reversal Phenomenon," Working Papers 152, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Roger E. Backhouse, 1997. "Truth and Progress in Economic Knowledge," Books, Edward Elgar, number 766, December.
- Herbert A. Simon, 1996. "The Sciences of the Artificial, 3rd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262691914, June.
- Engle, Robert F & Hendry, David F & Richard, Jean-Francois, 1983.
Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 277-304, March.
- Engle, Robert F & Hendry, David F & Richard, Jean-Francois, 1979. "Exogeneity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 162, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- ENGLE, Robert F. & HENDRY, David F. & RICHARD, Jean-FranÃ§ois, . "Exogeneity," CORE Discussion Papers RP 516, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521003216 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521662086 is not listed on IDEAS
- Akerlof, George A, 1970. "The Market for 'Lemons': Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500, August.
- Milgrom, Paul, 1989. "Auctions and Bidding: A Primer," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 3(3), pages 3-22, Summer.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521778251 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mary Morgan, 2001. "Models, stories and the economic world," Journal of Economic Methodology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(3), pages 361-384.
- Nancy Cartwright, 1991. "Replicability, Reproducibility, and Robustness: Comments on Harry Collins," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 23(1), pages 143-155, Spring.
- Hausman, Daniel M., 1998. "Problems with Realism in Economics," Economics and Philosophy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(02), pages 185-213, October.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521002882 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:brg:wpaper:0208. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (University of Bergamo Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.