Bonds Transaction Services and the Term Structure of Interest Rates: Implications for Equilibrium Determinacy
We introduce two bonds in a standard New-Keynesian model to study the role of segmentation in bond markets for the determinacy of rational expectations equilibria. We use a strongly-separable utility function to model short-term bonds providing transaction services for the purchase of consumption goods. Long-term bonds, instead, provide the standard services of store of value. We obtain a fully analytical solution for the bond pricing kernel, allowing to endogenize the term spread within the model. In this way, we study equilibrium determinacy properties within a context embedding the full information derived from term structure of interest rates. Our results show that, when utility is weakly separable between consumption and bonds, the Taylor principle holds only conditional to a non-linear relation between output and inflation targeting coefficients of monetary policy rule. Achieving solution determinacy requires to constraint policy coefficients to lie within bounds depending on structural parameters of the model. This paper provides an analytical setting useful for several generalizations to address the stability properties in dynamic models including the term structure of interest rates, induced by policy rules.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 051 209 8019 and 2600
Fax: +39 051 209 8040 and 2664
Web page: http://www.dse.unibo.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marzo, Massimiliano & Zagaglia, Paolo, 2008.
"Determinacy of Interest Rate Rules with Bond Transaction Services in a Cashless Economy,"
Research Papers in Economics
2008:7, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Marzo, Massimiliano & Zagaglia, Paolo, 2008. "Determinacy of interest rate rules with bond transaction services in a cashless economy ," Research Discussion Papers 24/2008, Bank of Finland.
- Leeper, Eric M., 1991. "Equilibria under 'active' and 'passive' monetary and fiscal policies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 129-147, February.
- Lubik, Thomas A. & Marzo, Massimiliano, 2007.
"An inventory of simple monetary policy rules in a New Keynesian macroeconomic model,"
International Review of Economics & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 15-36.
- Thomas Lubik & Massimiliano Marzo, 2003. "An Inventory of Simple Monetary Policy Rules in a New Keynesian Macroeconomic Model," Economics Working Paper Archive 500, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Bullard, James & Mitra, Kaushik, 2002.
"Learning about monetary policy rules,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(6), pages 1105-1129, September.
- Javier Andres & J. David López-Salido & Edward Nelson, 2004.
"Tobin's imperfect asset substitution in optimizing general equilibrium,"
2004-003, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Andrés, Javier & López-Salido, J David & Nelson, Edward, 2004. "Tobin's Imperfect Asset Substitution in Optimizing General Equilibrium," CEPR Discussion Papers 4336, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Harrison, Richard, 2012. "Asset purchase policy at the effective lower bound for interest rates," Bank of England working papers 444, Bank of England.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 2005. "Optimal Fiscal and Monetary Policy in a Medium-Scale Macroeconomic Model: Expanded Version," NBER Working Papers 11417, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bol:bodewp:wp821. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luca Miselli)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Luca Miselli to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.