On insurance and the cost-sharing of pharmaceutical R&D
Ramsey pricing has been proposed in the pharmaceutical industry as a principle to price discriminate among markets while allowing to recover the (fixed) R&D cost. However, such analyses neglect the presence of insurance or the fund raising costs for drug reimbursement. By incorporating these new elements, we aim at providing some building blocks towards an economic theory merging Ramsey pricing, equity concerns by governments and the strategic incentives, as governments also determine the reimbursement level in countries with a NHS-like system. This will have important implications to the application of Ramsey pricing principles to pharmaceutical products across countries.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ramon Trias Fargas, 25-27, 08005 Barcelona|
Phone: +34 93 542-1222
Fax: +34 93 542-1223
Web page: http://www.barcelonagse.eu
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Malueg, David A. & Schwartz, Marius, 1994.
"Parallel imports, demand dispersion, and international price discrimination,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 37(3-4), pages 167-195, November.
- Malueg, D.A. & Schwartz, M., 1993. "Parallel Imports, Demand Dispersion and International Price Discrimination," Papers 93-6, U.S. Department of Justice - Antitrust Division.
- Stefan Felder, 2006. "Third-Degree Price Discrimination in the Presence of Subsidies," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 7, pages 419-426, November.
- Juan-José Ganuza & Gerard Llobet & Beatriz Domínguez, 2009. "R& D in the Pharmaceutical Industry: A World of Small Innovations," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 55(4), pages 539-551, April.
- Beatriz Domínguez & Juan José Ganuza & Gerard Llobet, 2005. "R&D in the pharmaceutical industry: A world of small innovations," Economics Working Papers 936, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Frank, Richard G., 2003. "New estimates of drug development costs," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 325-330, March.
- Besley, Timothy J., 1988. "Optimal reimbursement health insurance and the theory of Ramsey taxation," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 321-336, December.
- William Jack & Jean O. Lanjouw, 2005. "Financing Pharmaceutical Innovation: How Much Should Poor Countries Contribute?," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 19(1), pages 45-67.
- William Jack & Jean O. Lanjouw, 2003. "Financing Pharmaceutical Innovation: How Much Should Poor Countries Contribute?," Working Papers 28, Center for Global Development.
- Fullerton, Don, 1991. "Reconciling Recent Estimates of the Marginal Welfare Cost of Taxation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 302-308, March.
- Sam Allgood & Arthur Snow, 2006. "Marginal Welfare Costs of Taxation with Human and Physical Capital," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 44(3), pages 451-464, July.
- DiMasi, Joseph A. & Hansen, Ronald W. & Grabowski, Henry G., 2003. "The price of innovation: new estimates of drug development costs," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 151-185, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bge:wpaper:293. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruno Guallar)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.