Forward-looking robust portfolio selection
In this paper we develop a portfolio optimization strategy based on the extraction of option-implied distributions and the application of robust asset allocation. We compute the option-implied probability density functions of the constituents of the Euro Stoxx 50 Index. To obtain the corresponding risk-adjusted densities, we estimate the risk aversion coefficient through a Berkowitz likelihood test. The correlation structure among the stocks is computed via an ad hoc technique, which provides a correction term for the historical correlations. We implement a robust portfolio construction, in order to incorporate the uncertainty about the estimation error for the expected returns in the optimization procedure.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Nazionale, 91 - 00184 Roma|
Web page: http://www.bancaditalia.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia & Andrew W. Lo, 2000.
"Nonparametric Risk Management and Implied Risk Aversion,"
NBER Working Papers
6130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine & Lo, Andrew W., 2000. "Nonparametric risk management and implied risk aversion," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 94(1-2), pages 9-51.
- Robert R. Bliss & Nikolaos Panigirtzoglou, 2004. "Option-Implied Risk Aversion Estimates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(1), pages 407-446, 02.
- Berkowitz, Jeremy, 2001. "Testing Density Forecasts, with Applications to Risk Management," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 19(4), pages 465-474, October.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Adrian Buss & Grigory Vilkov, 2012. "Measuring Equity Risk with Option-implied Correlations," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 25(10), pages 3113-3140.
- Breeden, Douglas T & Litzenberger, Robert H, 1978. "Prices of State-contingent Claims Implicit in Option Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(4), pages 621-651, October.
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-350, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdi:wptemi:td_913_13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.