Efficient Discretization of Stochastic Integrals
Sharp asymptotic lower bounds of the expected quadratic variation of discretization error in stochastic integration are given. The theory relies on inequalities for the kurtosis and skewness of a general random variable which are themselves seemingly new. Asymptotically efficient schemes which attain the lower bounds are constructed explicitly. The result is directly applicable to practical hedging problem in mathematical finance; it gives an asymptotically optimal way to choose rebalancing dates and portofolios with respect to transaction costs. The asymptotically efficient strategies in fact reflect the structure of transaction costs. In particular a specific biased rebalancing scheme is shown to be superior to unbiased schemes if transaction costs follow a convex model. The problem is discussed also in terms of the exponential utility maximization.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Emmanuel Denis & Yuri Kabanov, 2010.
"Mean square error for the Leland–Lott hedging strategy: convex pay-offs,"
Finance and Stochastics,
Springer, vol. 14(4), pages 625-667, December.
- Emmanuel Denis & Yuri Kabanov, 2010. "Mean square error for the Leland-Lott hedging strategy: convex pay-offs," Post-Print hal-00488278, HAL.
- Hayne E. Leland., 1984.
"Option Pricing and Replication with Transactions Costs,"
Research Program in Finance Working Papers
144, University of California at Berkeley.
- Leland, Hayne E, 1985. " Option Pricing and Replication with Transactions Costs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(5), pages 1283-1301, December.
- Takaki Hayashi & Per A. Mykland, 2005. "Evaluating Hedging Errors: An Asymptotic Approach," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(2), pages 309-343.
- Tankov, Peter & Voltchkova, Ekaterina, 2009. "Asymptotic analysis of hedging errors in models with jumps," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 119(6), pages 2004-2027, June.
- Emmanuel Temam & Emmanuel Gobet, 2001. "Discrete time hedging errors for options with irregular payoffs," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 357-367.
- Karandikar, Rajeeva L., 1995. "On pathwise stochastic integration," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 11-18, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1204.0637. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.