Applications of time-delayed backward stochastic differential equations to pricing, hedging and portfolio management
In this paper we investigate novel applications of a new class of equations which we call time-delayed backward stochastic differential equations. Time-delayed BSDEs may arise in finance when we want to find an investment strategy and an investment portfolio which should replicate a liability or meet a target depending on the applied strategy or the past values of the portfolio. In this setting, a managed investment portfolio serves simultaneously as the underlying security on which the liability/target is contingent and as a replicating portfolio for that liability/target. This is usually the case for capital-protected investments and performance-linked pay-offs. We give examples of pricing, hedging and portfolio management problems (asset-liability management problems) which could be investigated in the framework of time-delayed BSDEs. Our motivation comes from life insurance and we focus on participating contracts and variable annuities. We derive the corresponding time-delayed BSDEs and solve them explicitly or at least provide hints how to solve them numerically. We give a financial interpretation of the theoretical fact that a time-delayed BSDE may not have a solution or may have multiple solutions.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Romuald Elie & Nizar Touzi, 2008. "Optimal lifetime consumption and investment under a drawdown constraint," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 299-330, July.
- Ballotta, Laura, 2005. "A Lévy process-based framework for the fair valuation of participating life insurance contracts," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 173-196, October.
- Kleinow, Torsten & Willder, Mark, 2007. "The effect of management discretion on hedging and fair valuation of participating policies with maturity guarantees," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 445-458, May.
- Dahl, Mikkel & Moller, Thomas, 2006. "Valuation and hedging of life insurance liabilities with systematic mortality risk," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 193-217, October.
- Bacinello, Anna Rita, 2001. "Fair Pricing of Life Insurance Participating Policies with a Minimum Interest Rate Guaranteed," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 31(02), pages 275-297, November.
- Milevsky, Moshe A. & Salisbury, Thomas S., 2006. "Financial valuation of guaranteed minimum withdrawal benefits," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 21-38, February.
- Bender, Christian & Denk, Robert, 2007. "A forward scheme for backward SDEs," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 117(12), pages 1793-1812, December.
- Ying Hu & Peter Imkeller & Matthias Muller, 2005. "Utility maximization in incomplete markets," Papers math/0508448, arXiv.org.
- N. El Karoui & S. Peng & M. C. Quenez, 1997. "Backward Stochastic Differential Equations in Finance," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(1), pages 1-71.
- Kleinow, Torsten, 2009. "Valuation and hedging of participating life-insurance policies under management discretion," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 78-87, February.
- Min Dai & Yue Kuen Kwok & Jianping Zong, 2008. "Guaranteed Minimum Withdrawal Benefit In Variable Annuities," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(4), pages 595-611.
- Philippe Robert-Demontrond & R. Ringoot, 2004. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00081823, HAL.
- Nadine Gatzert & Alexander Kling, 2007. "Analysis of Participating Life Insurance Contracts: A Unification Approach," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 74(3), pages 547-570.
- Bauer, Daniel & Kling, Alexander & Russ, Jochen, 2008. "A Universal Pricing Framework for Guaranteed Minimum Benefits in Variable Annuities," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(02), pages 621-651, November.
- Marie-Amélie Morlais, 2009. "Quadratic BSDEs driven by a continuous martingale and applications to the utility maximization problem," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 121-150, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1005.4417. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.