Differences Between Farmer And Agency Attitudes Regarding Policies To Reduce Phosphorus Pollution In The Minnesota River Basin
Farmers and agency staff were surveyed regarding their opinions on alternative policies to reduce agricultural nonpoint source pollution in the Minnesota River. Farmers were also asked about their land and nutrient management practices. The information was used to examine determinants of policy preferences. For agency staff, farmer resistance and administrative or transaction costs were more important than farmer costs. Both agency staff and farmers indicated that their preferred policy was a requirement for conservation tillage on highly erodible land. Changes in how soil test results are reported may have potential to reduce phosphorous applications, as would improved manure management.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||1998|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 231ClaOff Building, 1994 Buford Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55108-6040|
Phone: (612) 625-1222
Fax: (612) 625-6245
Web page: http://www.apec.umn.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roberts, Roland K., 1986. "Plant Nutrient Demand Functions For Tennessee With Prices Of Jointly Applied Nutrients," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(02), December.
- Lazarus, William F. & Molenaar, Jim, 1996. "Minnesota Agricultural Economist 686," Minnesota Applied Economist/Minnesota Agricultural Economist 13193, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Mark Denbaly & Harry Vroomen, 1993. "Dynamic Fertilizer Nutrient Demands for Corn: A Cointegrated and Error-Correcting System," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 75(1), pages 203-209.
- Peter Kennedy, 2003. "A Guide to Econometrics, 5th Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 5, volume 1, number 026261183x, January.
- Taff, Steven J., 1996. "Minnesota Agricultural Economist No. 686," Minnesota Applied Economist/Minnesota Agricultural Economist 13177, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Roberts, Roland K., 1986. "Plant Nutrient Demand Functions for Tennessee with Prices of Jointly Applied Nutrients," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(02), pages 107-112, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:umaesp:14268. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.