State Economic Development: The Saturn Project Revisited
This paper focuses on state economic development efforts with an emphasis on formulating a state economic development strategy. An analytical framework for regional policy analysis is discussed. A second framework is presented that outlines criteria for efficient use of state funds. Economic Base theory is discussed in the appendix, along with Shift-Share Analysis. States, although generally lacking a comprehensive development strategy, are active in economic development programs. The "bottom line" in all regional development efforts is enhancement of the productivity of regional resources, particularly human. To ensure the productive use of state financing, eligible candidates for state assistance are being targeted for export-producing businesses that could not achieve their potential for success without this assistance. These programs should be subject to the criterion that the benefits of programs, measured in increased taxes due to the development, be greater than the total cost of the programs and incentives.
|Date of creation:||1986|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 231ClaOff Building, 1994 Buford Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55108-6040|
Phone: (612) 625-1222
Fax: (612) 625-6245
Web page: http://www.apec.umn.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Moore, Barry C & Rhodes, John, 1976. "Regional Economic Policy and the Movement of Manufacturing Firms to Development Areas," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 43(169), pages 17-31, February.
- John A. Schofield, 1976. "Economic Efficiency and Regional Policy," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 13(2), pages 181-192, June.
- Ashcroft, Brian & Taylor, Jim, 1977. "The Movement of Manufacturing Industry and the Effect of Regional Policy," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 29(1), pages 84-101, March.
- Johansson, Per-Olov, 1981. " On Regional Effects of Government Policies in a Small Open Economy," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 83(4), pages 541-552.
- Maki, Wilbur R. & del Ninno, Carlo & Stenberg, Peter L., 1983. "Forecasting State Economic Growth in Recession and Recovery," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 13(2).
- Moore, Barry & Rhodes, John, 1973. "Evaluating the Effects of British Regional Economic Policy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 83(329), pages 87-110, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:umaesp:13966. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.