Qualitative Analysis Of Production And Hedging
The analysis is concerned with a producer who has three alternative marketing outlets for a seasonal perishable product. He can sell in a spot market when production is completed, he can contract for future delivery at a fixed price, he can plan to deliver on the spot market while holding a futures market hedge during the production period, or he can elect some combination of these outlets. Circumstances which lead to different combinations of outlets being used are indicated. A result of some generality is that if the certain forward price is high enough for this outlet to be used, then total output is the same as if this were the only alternative. The price at which this outlet is used is noted. Earlier treatments had noted the result in narrower contexts.
|Date of creation:||1983|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 231ClaOff Building, 1994 Buford Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55108-6040|
Phone: (612) 625-1222
Fax: (612) 625-6245
Web page: http://www.apec.umn.edu
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tesfatsion, Leigh, 1981.
"Dynamic investment, risk aversion, and foresight sensitivity,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 65-96, November.
- Tesfatsion, Leigh S., 1981. "Dynamic Investment, Risk Aversion, and Foresight Sensitivity," Staff General Research Papers Archive 11217, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Danthine, Jean-Pierre, 1978. "Information, futures prices, and stabilizing speculation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 79-98, February.
- Holthausen, Duncan M, 1979. "Hedging and the Competitive Firm under Price Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(5), pages 989-995, December.
- Hildreth, Clifford & Tesfatsion, Leigh, 1977. "A note on dependence between a venture and a current prospect," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 381-391, August.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1971. "On the Theory of the Competitive Firm under Price Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 65-73, March.
- Hildreth, Clifford & Knowles, Glenn J., 1982. "Some Estimates of Farmers' Utility Functions," Technical Bulletins 54545, University of Minnesota, Agricultural Experiment Station.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:umaesp:13765. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.