Analysis of United States and European Union Import Demand for Shrimp
Based on 1990-2004 quarterly data, U.S. and E.U. demand for imported shrimp by alternative supply sources was examined within an Almost Ideal Demand System framework. For the United States, supply sources included Central America, South America, and Asia. Supply sources for the European Union included Asia, South America, and Rest of World. All own-price elasticities for the U.S. system were found to be elastic while all own-price elasticities associated with the E.U. system were found to be inelastic. With few notable exceptions, estimated cross-price elasticities suggest substitution among import sources. Finally, shrimp of Asian origin were found to be highly expenditure elastic in the US market while shrimp of South American origin were found to be the same in the European market.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chalfant, James A, 1987. "A Globally Flexible, Almost Ideal Demand System," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 5(2), pages 233-42, April.
- Seale, James L., Jr. & Merchant, Mary, 2002.
"Imports versus Domestic Production: A Demand System Analysis of the U.S. Red Wine Market,"
15637, University of Florida, International Agricultural Trade and Policy Center.
- James L. Seale & Mary A. Marchant & Alberto Basso, 2003. "Imports versus Domestic Production: A Demand System Analysis of the U.S. Red Wine Market," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 25(1), pages 187-202.
- Alston, Julian M & Foster, Kenneth A & Green, Richard D, 1994. "Estimating Elasticities with the Linear Approximate Almost Ideal Demand System: Some Monte Carlo Results," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(2), pages 351-56, May.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- Frank Asche & Cathy R. Wessells, 1997. "On Price Indices in the Almost Ideal Demand System," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1182-1185.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:saeaed:6748. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.