IDEOLOG: A Program for Filtering Econometric Data -- A Synopsis of Alternative Methods
An account is given of various filtering procedures that have been implemented in a computer program, which can be used in analysing econometric time series. The program provides some new filtering procedures that operate primarily in the frequency domain. Their advantage is that they are able to achieve clear separations of components of the data that reside in adjacent frequency bands in a way that the conventional time-domain methods cannot. Several procedures that operate exclusively within the time domain have also been implemented in the program. Amongst these are the bandpass filters of Baxter and King and of Christiano and Fitzgerald, which have been used in estimating business cycles. The Henderson filter, the Butterworth filter and the Leser or Hodrick–Prescott filter are also implemented. These are also described in this paper. Econometric filtering procedures must be able to cope with the trends that are typical of economic time series. If a trended data sequence has been reduced to stationarity by differencing prior to its filtering, then the filtered sequence will need to be re-inflated. This can be achieved within the time domain via the summation operator, which is the inverse of the difference operator. The effects of the differencing can also be reversed within the frequency domain by recourse to the frequency-response function of the summation operator.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|This chapter was published in: ||This item is provided by Universidad del País Vasco - Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales in its series EHUCHAPS with number
01-02.||Handle:|| RePEc:ehu:ehucha:01-02||Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avda. Lehendakari, Aguirre, 83, 48015 Bilbao|
Phone: (94) 447 28 00
Web page: http://www.ekonomia-enpresa-zientziak.ehu.es/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Dpto. de Economía Aplicada III (Econometría y Estadística), Facultad de CC. Económicas y Empresariales, Universidad del País Vasco, Avda. Lehendakari Aguirre 83, 48015 Bilbao, Spain|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Terry J. Fitzgerald, 2003.
"The Band Pass Filter,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 44(2), pages 435-465, 05.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Terry J. Fitzgerald, 1999. "The Band Pass Filter," NBER Working Papers 7257, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, . "CFFILTER: RATS procedure to perform band pass filter using Christiano-Fitzgerald method," Statistical Software Components RTS00034, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Terry J. Fitzgerald, 1999. "The Band pass filter," Working Paper 9906, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Quenneville, Benoit & Ladiray, Dominique & Lefrancois, Bernard, 2003. "A note on Musgrave asymmetrical trend-cycle filters," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 727-734.
- Pollock, D.S.G., 2007. "Wiener Kolmogorov Filtering, Frequency-Selective Filtering, And Polynomial Regression," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(01), pages 71-88, February.
- D.S.G. Pollock, 2007. "Investigating Economic Trends And Cycles," Discussion Papers in Economics 07/17, Department of Economics, University of Leicester, revised Apr 2008.
- Pollock, D. S. G., 2000. "Trend estimation and de-trending via rational square-wave filters," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 317-334, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ehu:ehucha:01-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alcira Macías Redondo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.