Investment Matters : The Role and Patterns of Investment in Southeast Europe
The purpose of this note is to provide policy insights to decision makers, academics, and researchers on the trends in investment in Southeast Europe (SEE). A comprehensive assessment of what determines investment is essential to identify, to the extent needed, policy actions that stimulate it. The report looks more in-depth into private investment trends in SEE, and explores some determinants of private investment, such as: the financing sources for investment, the contribution of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI), and the role of public investment. The selection has been made based on the relative importance and data availability for the SEE economies. Some key determinants of investment such as political stability and business environment have not been included because these are already well covered in the existing literature. Overall, the report aims to assess not only the quantity but also the quality of investment. It should be noted that while (investment in) human capital is equally, if not more, important for economic growth, its role and patterns in SEE are beyond the scope of this report.
|This book is provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Publications with number 5920 and published in 2009.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: https://openknowledge.worldbank.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard M, 2000.
"Foreign Investment and Productivity Growth in Czech Enterprises,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 14(1), pages 49-64, January.
- Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard, 1999. "Foreign investment and productivity growth in Czech enterprises," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2115, The World Bank.
- Straub, Stephane, 2008.
"Infrastructure and growth in developing countries : recent advances and research challenges,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4460, The World Bank.
- Stephane Straub, 2008. "Infrastructure and Growth in Developing Countries: Recent Advances and Research Challenges," ESE Discussion Papers 179, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Barry P. Bosworth & Susan M. Collins, 2003. "The Empirics of Growth: An Update," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 34(2), pages 113-206.
- Lutfi Erden & Randall G. Holcombe, 2005. "The Effects of Public Investment on Private Investment in Developing Economies," Public Finance Review, , vol. 33(5), pages 575-602, September.
- Commission on Growth and Development, 2008. "The Growth Report : Strategies for Sustained Growth and Inclusive Development," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6507.
- Nicholas Apergis & Costantinos Katrakilidis & Nikolaos Tabakis, 2006. "Dynamic Linkages between FDI Inflows and Domestic Investment: A Panel Cointegration Approach," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 34(4), pages 385-394, December.
- Sanjay Kathuria, 2008. "Western Balkan Integration and the EU : An Agenda for Trade and Growth," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6446.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbpubs:5920. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Breineder)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.