Cross-sectional benchmarking of social and environmental reporting practice in the australian oil and gas industry
The objective of this paper is to examine social and environmental disclosures against general and industry benchmarks for the quantity and quality of social and environmental reporting practice. To achieve this, a content analysis approach has been applied to disclosures of the 25 Australian oil and gas companies included in the Australian Stock Exchange 300 index in 2006. The conclusions are that there is relatively poor disclosure, and the majority of environmental disclosures are declarative and positive. Oil and gas companies sampled fail to provide detailed information about, for example, the quantification of targets and outputs, actual achievements and the level of participation by employees. However, consistent with previous studies, the companies perform relatively well in reporting human resources information. Implications of these findings and potential for future research are highlighted. Copyright © 2010 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd and ERP Environment.
Volume (Year): 18 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1099-1719|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cormier, Denis & Magnan, Michel, 2003. "Environmental reporting management: a continental European perspective," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 43-62.
- Neu, D. & Warsame, H. & Pedwell, K., 1998. "Managing public impressions: environmental disclosures in annual reports," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 265-282, April.
- Ralph Hamann, 2003. "Mining companies' role in sustainable development: The 'why' and 'how' of corporate social responsibility from a business perspective," Development Southern Africa, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(2), pages 237-254.
- Roberts, Robin W., 1992. "Determinants of corporate social responsibility disclosure: An application of stakeholder theory," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 595-612, August.
- de Villiers, Charl & van Staden, Chris J., 2006. "Can less environmental disclosure have a legitimising effect? Evidence from Africa," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 31(8), pages 763-781, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:sustdv:v:18:y:2010:i:2:p:108-118. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.